Stripe Donations Plugin

These ideas all sound good to me.

As mentioned earlier, I’m currently working on another plugin that will store Stripe transactions against forum users. It’ll take me a while as I’m learning Ruby, Rails, and the Discourse plugin interface. So if you’re willing to wait, I can include the features you’re looking for into the donations plugin. Or you’re more than welcome to submit a PR.

5 Likes

The Patreon plugin is a way to accomplish this. Patreon is a bit clunky, but I have at least one client who seems happy with it.

1 Like

I also would need such a button. Is it possible to implement it and add it to the composer toolbar?

Can the badge be selected automatically depending on the amount donated? We currently have a custom Stripe implementation in our complimentary WordPress website, and we award one of the 3 badges available, depending on the transaction amount.

Also, may someone share the screenshot, how the donation button looks? Where it is added and can we change its title?

Finally, at the end of the day, is this plugin currently in a working condition?

3 Likes

I tried to implement the checkout button in posts but it wouldn’t render correctly.

More on that here:

I have, however, got the checkout button to render on a static page in my work-in-progress new plugin. I’ll post details when the plugin is complete.

Not at the moment but you’re welcome to submit a PR to my fork

I’ll answer the remainder of your post soon

2 Likes

Are you using SSO? You could pass that group information to discourse from WordPress.

I have tested the plugin on my personal sandbox and my Stripe dashboard shows payments being received successfully :+1:

I have just updated the readme with some screenshots and instructions:

https://github.com/chrisbeach/discourse-donations

Here are those screenshots:

4 Likes

@meglio Keep in mind that currently every new transaction creates a new customer in Stripe. Not a bug, but it could be an accounting issue.

@meglio @ChrisBeach Could you guys explain what the use case / user story for having a stripe form in the compose is? i.e. why not just link them to the donate page. Just convenience?

2 Likes

My original plan was to have a topic (as I currently have) explaining how advertising works, with a neat button included so visitors can pay immediately.

But since the checkout button stubbornly refuses to render in topics, I’m now working on a dedicated “static” page managed by the plugin.

1 Like

I have a topic where we dicuss donations. I’d like to put a button there.

It is also asked about “how I can help the forum”. Would be nice to insert a direct action button right in the answer. Note: in PMs as well.

I’d like to install and use the plugin. Pls put a note here when it’s ready for production.

@angus , I’d be greatful if you can add a code to insert the button right in composer.

Also, it is not a big issue if a new Stripe customer is created for every single transaction.

2 Likes

I’ve submitted a PR to fix the in-post payment button.

https://github.com/chrisbeach/discourse-donations/pull/6

9 Likes

Great. Is the “Pay with Card” caption customisable?

Amazing, thanks @Angus! I have merged the PR

Not at present. I’ll let you know when it is.

1 Like

Okay guys, do you think it’s stable enough for localisation? I’m willing to translate the plugin to Ru and then install it for our community, but obviously can’t use a button saying “Pay with Card” in English. Is it at least translatable, or not at all? If it is, I’ll be able to customise it through the admin panel.

Let me know when you think it’s good time to translate the plugin.

1 Like

Will do, and much appreciate your help. :+1:

now that stripe accepts bitcoin… going to take a look!

Hi Chris, Hi @angus, any update on this plugin? Just in case

tried installing but had an error… will try again in a bit and provide more details… will update this post!

Hi @8BIT - could you provide details including which github URL you used in your app.yml file. Thanks.

I haven’t yet modified the button wording - will let you know when done.

1 Like

i’ll give you an update shortly! thanks chris.

And here it is:

- git clone https://github.com/choiceaustralia/discourse-donations.git

Oh. That’s the URL in the OP, but not the one mentioned in later posts, so presumably it’s the wrong one. If the link in the first post is indeed wrong, and your intent is not to confuse people could you edit the OP and/or change the site where the broken plugin is to tell people not to use it?

Or maybe it’s that @ChrisBeach’s https://github.com/chrisbeach/discourse-donations.git is the URL to use and the old one is abandoned? If that’s the case, please start a new topic and someone (me, for example) can move this one to #plugin:broken-plugin.

4 Likes