Stuck in 'Read Only' Mode

Hi all,

My site is suddenly in ‘read only’ mode, and I don’t know why.

chathamhouse.sandbaggernews.com

A friend helped me set up Discourse, but unfortunately he’s left town for a Linux conference in Seattle :stuck_out_tongue:
I’m trying to present this site to my professors tomorrow night. Really don’t know where to begin.

Thanks so much,
Stuck.

AWS installation stuck in Read only mode
(Jay Pfaffman) #2

If you can ssh into the site host, try this :

./launcher enter app
rails c
Discourse.disable_readonly_mode

Unable to login as admin after enabling read only mode
(shitposting) #3

This worked for me earlier. It doesn’t seem to be working now.

It pops out of read only mode for a second and then reverts back to it.

Edit: This may be because I restored a DigitalOcean image. In any case, it keeps looping back into read only status.

(Alan Tan) #4

Discourse.disable_readonly_mode(Discourse::USER_READONLY_MODE_KEY)

Accidentally made site read only, how do I disable?
Read-only flag gets reset during backup and restore to new server
(shitposting) #5

That did it. Thank you.

(Jay Pfaffman) #6

I had a client with this problem just now.

I don’t know how the site ended up in Read only mode.

I don’t know why disable_readonly_mode requires an argument.

These seem like bugs.

(Alan Tan) #7

Is it still in read only mode? There is a way to figure out the cause of it by looking for the right Redis keys.

I don’t understand how disable_readonly_mode requiring an argument makes it a bug.

(Jay Pfaffman) #8

Maybe it’s a UX thing. :slight_smile: it would just seem that such a function could be written such that it didn’t need an argument

How to check the redis keys? Oh. No I managed to get it out of read only with your help, so we can’t tell now?

(Jay Pfaffman) #9

And apparently it used to work without an argument.

(Alan Tan) #10

It doesn’t need an argument by default :wink:

Anyway, Discourse.disable_readonly_mode isn’t public API so what used to work might not always continue to work. The source code is the “source” of truth in this case.

Assuming you ran Discourse.disable_readonly_mode(Discourse::USER_READONLY_MODE_KEY) to get it out of read only mode, it was a user that enabled readonly mode.

Inheriting discourse install - need some assistance
(Jay Pfaffman) #11

Perhaps mere mortals don’t often need to do that.

(Jeremy M (Jerdog)) #12

So I have a similar issue. After getting through here (Inheriting discourse install - need some assistance) I am attempting the Discourse.disable_readonly_mode(Discourse::USER_READONLY_MODE_KEY) but it keeps returning => true, is out of RO Mode for a second and then pops back in. I don’t have that key if I need to physically type it in… So stuck a bit