Styling on assignment comments changed to look public

In the last few days, it seems that the styling on assignment comments changed to not be grey anymore.

Every time, it scares me that I’ve accidentally responded publicly with something I meant to be private:

2 Likes

I don’t know this plugin, but after installing it and using it, it seems that there is no assigment-specific class to this message. Only general classes.

You can circumvent your issue with this CSS rule:

.small-action .small-action-custom-message {
    color: var(--primary-700);
}

:woman_shrugging: they used to be grey. Something changed, and I didn’t do it. I can certainly patch my instance, but probably the fix should be systemic.

1 Like

Probably from this commit from 8 days ago then:

.small-action .small-action-desc, which is a parent of .small-action-custom-message, changed from color: var(--primary-medium); (grey) to color: var(--primary-700); (also grey) but color: var(--primary); (almost black) was also added specifically in .small-action-custom-message and overrides any parent color.

What an unreadable sentence. :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Very good point, thanks for mentioning it. At the moment small post text has one style for everything (assigns, closed topic messages, etc)… but we should follow the pattern set by whispers. When it’s publicly visible it should be standard text, but when visibility is limited it should be lighter and italic. I can look into making this adjustment.

Perhaps we should also include the eye slash for extra reassurance, which is also used in whispers:
Screenshot 2022-12-13 at 11.10.14 AM

6 Likes

I like that as a guiding principle here, and therefore this makes sense to me too:

2 Likes

Good news! We’ve made some updates that will change the text styling depending on assignment visibility. If you’re on the latest version of Discourse and the assign plugin, assigns will get a .private-assign class if assigns are not public. By default this changes any associated message to be styled like a whisper:

When assigns are public:

Screenshot 2023-02-07 at 1.12.53 PM

When they’re staff-only:

Screenshot 2023-02-07 at 1.15.27 PM

1 Like

So all I have to do is sit back and wait for my instance to be upgraded, right? :sunglasses:

Edit: And awesome news! Thanks!

1 Like

My assignment comments are back to grey! Thanks so much!

2 Likes