Styling the sidebar without using CSS?

Hey everyone!

I’m wanting to know if there’s a way to configure the styling of the sidebar in the admin panel without using CSS?

I’m wanting the sidebar on my site (shown below) to match the simple styling that’s used in the Discourse forum.

Thanks in advance!

Ours is just the Default styling here on Meta. Though it also looks like you may need to update your Discourse to pull in the latest changes.

What bits in particular are you trying to replicate?

3 Likes

Gotcha! I’ve customized my Discourse install quite a bit, so I haven’t used the auto update in the admin dashboard to upgrade from 3.1.0 to 3.2.0.

I’ll be spending some time shortly to update to 3.2.0 and hopefully that will bring the styling in line with the default styling.

Specifically, I was wanting to increase the font size of the category titles, as well as change the sidebar background color to #FFFFFF.

On this topic of sidebar customization, I’m also curious to know if there’s any way to replace the bullet visual style for the category badges with emojis?

For instance instead of the standard:

Screenshot 2023-09-20 at 10.51.18 AM

replacing the colorized bullets with an emoji like this:

Screenshot 2023-09-20 at 10.46.49 AM

Hi!

This is possible with this theme component:

:slight_smile:

Note that it’s not quite optimized (see the replies) and can only use Twitter’s emojis.

As an alternative, there’s this:

2 Likes

Thank you so much, this is really helpful!