Suggest favorite YouTube tutorials for Discourse Admins and Moderators

I am looking for Discourse Admin tutorials on YouTube

Searching Discourse tutorials on YouTube finds a playlist by JonoBacon (@jonobacon) for that included Trust Levels and Stats

But I’m hoping to find something to introduce maintenance tasks. Like consolidating duplicate Tags to improve the quality of search results.

The Administrative Bulk Operations topic jumps right in, assuming familiarity with Rake (Ruby Make) and the Ruby for Rails console. And that the hosting plain gives access to these. And maybe assumes Admin level access. But a back-channel conversation indicates that a UI is available somewhere. I haven’t found where. (update: see Accessing the bulk actions menu subsection in Performing bulk actions as a moderator) Or whether there are tools that allow Moderators to do some bulk maintenance tasks.

Since finding Discourse tutorials for Moderators/Admins has been an exercise in frustration, I thought a referrals topic was a good idea. (Why isn’t there a Video Tutorials section at the beginning of the Documentation Site managementi index pinned topic?)

A suggestion popped up after I posted. Although it isn’t ‘videos’, it is targeted at ‘non-technical’ maintainers. (Which hopefully means that they link to introductions of skills-based techniques before referencing use of them.)

2 Likes

It’s quite old and shows an interim result of the development of the the tag synonym feature. But it’s the only video about tag synonyms I know of

The first steps are still the same, but the button does not say “info” anymore but shows a wrench.

In a Private Mail, @JammyDodger suggested using the Performing bulk actions as a moderator