Supportive settings to improve mental health?

I’m wondering if there are any settings or plugins that could help support a user’s mental health? For example we have a very active community and sometimes find that they post a lot. Wanted to look into whether it was possible to allow them to set their own limits on how long they can spend on a Discourse forum?

I realise users could just stop, but I think that this might be a useful option for those who find it hard to stop replying to notifications.

6 Likes

For each Discourse site I use, I set up my Notification preferences (/my/preferences/notifications) to the following:

Screenshot 2023-05-03 at 14-54-29 Notifications - Preferences - maiki - Discourse Meta

Being liked is nice, being notified is a bit distracting.

Screenshot 2023-05-03 at 14-55-18 Notifications - Preferences - maiki - Discourse Meta

Even when I’m active on a site, I want bounds on how much I’m being drawn to it.

Screenshot 2023-05-03 at 14-56-36 Notifications - Preferences - maiki - Discourse Meta

If the site uses Assignments, setting the frequency of the reminder messages is useful.

Another panel of settings to check is (/my/preferences/emails), as that will greatly reduce received email:

I hope those provide some assistance. :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Maybe something like Take a break! Theme component is what you are looking for. But I don’t think users can choose the time after the reminder is shown

7 Likes

i’ve set members to lower trust levels temporarily at their request for this reason.

7 Likes