I just tested this out on try.discourse.org. I used a basic text editor to create a CSV file called tags.csv with nothing but the word java in it and was able to use the bulk tag uploading tool to add the new tag without issue.
The try.discourse.org site has akismet and discourse-voting, and I highly doubt the formatting-toolbar plugin would conflict in any way that would produce the error you are seeing.
Are you able to upload files without issue in other contexts (posts, themes, etc)?
Hmm, I tried renaming my file to tags-1.csv and still couldn’t reproduce the error. If you change it back to tags-1.csv and try uploading, does it fail again? I’m wondering if there was something else going on in your original filename and changing it to tags.csv somehow fixed it.
Nope still doesn’t work for me. All I am doing on my Mac is
$ vi tags-1.csv
Then i to enter edit mode java esc to exit edit mode :wq and Enter to save and exit.
That’s it. This too fails. I initially thought it might have something to do with an Excel being exported to CSV, but, even commandline editing is throwing issues.
I’ll continue for now with tags.csv, but, if you think this is important and would like me to run tests, I’ll be glad to. The same thing happened on two different droplets with fresh installs which worried me.
I see another issue (again, not sure if this is related to my environment).
My tags are a list of programming languages. I had c++ and c# in that list and once I removed them out of tags.csv, the bulk upload passed. I wonder if this has something to do with the tag ending with a special character. Again might just be me
Yes! That is definitely the issue. I was thinking we were only working with the word java in the file given your last post. You would need to use something like cpp, c-sharp, etc.
Yeah, I think that would be ideal. The current error doesn’t really give the user much to go on:
Sorry, there was an error uploading that file. Please try again.
Interesting note I wasn’t aware of - when trying to create a tag in normal topic creation/editing contexts, it looks like we just quietly strip out any symbols. So entering C++ would suggest C as the tag.