If you haven’t read it already, It’s Time We Talked About Tags provides an overview of how tags can be used as an organizational tool.
Enabling and Configuring Tags
Tag settings can be found in your admin panel under the “Tags” section of your site settings.
Tagging is not enabled by default. To enable tags, ensure that the
tagging_enabled setting is checked.
Creating and applying tags
Tags are created upon first usage. When composing or editing a topic, a user with tag creation and/or application privileges will see a tag chooser next to the category chooser.
Tags can also be adjusted when quick editing a topic title:
Please note that categories, depending on their settings, can optionally limit which tags may apply to that category.
Filter topics by tags
You can find the full list of tags on the tags page on your site, along with a count of how often each tag has been used. Selecting a tag will present a list of topics that have had the tag applied.
If you ever need to filter topics by more than one tag at the same time, use the following URL syntax:
Rename or delete a tag
- Go to the tags page on your site.
- Select the tag you wish to rename or delete.
- Select the button to rename the tag or the button to delete it.
Append or replace tags
- Visit any topic list
- Select the button at the top left of the topic list to enable bulk selection.
- Manually select topics or use the “Select All” option.
- Once you have a selection, use the button that appears to right of the topic list.
- Select the “Replace Tags” option and replace all existing tags on the selected topics with the tag or tags you specify, or use the “Append Tags” option to add tags, keeping any existing tags in place.
Tag admin options (Manage tag groups, upload tags, and delete unused tags)
Go to the tags page on your site and look for the tag admin button to the upper-right of the page:
For more information on tag groups see Tags: category restrictions, tag groups, relationships.