The Road to Discourse 1.0

Discourse launched at version 0.8.0.0 which was my off the cuff estimate of how “done” we were with our first public release on February 5th, 2013 — about eighty percent done, I thought, once you factor in the ninety-ninety rule: The first 90 percent of the code accounts for the first 90 percent of the…

This topic is for comments on the original blog entry at: http://blog.discourse.org/2014/01/the-road-to-discourse-1-0-2/

10 Likes

I forgot to mention that, in the natural process of developing Discourse, we have also contributed significant fixes and improvements back to several upstream projects we rely on:

• Rails
  • Ruby
  • Markdown.js
  • Ember.js

Which benefits not just us, but everyone who uses any of those projects. Isn’t open source great?

18 Likes

"In addition to hitting version 1.0 in the next few months, we have lots more great stuff in the pipeline for 2014, including news on our hosting story. "

Is there a day, week, month or quarter that you’re targeting for making your hosting available?

5 Likes

You guys have also been excellent at listening to feedback, and I appreciate that. Makes those of us who can’t contribute code feel like we were able to help out in our own ways :smiley:

9 Likes

We should hopefully have more specific news by early Feb.

1 Like

Looks really great! Can’t wait 1.0, cuz your project is so amazing! But installing of it is real pain-in-the-ass for people who used IPB or XEN or VB or etc. forums.

Hope there will be some more friendly installer, it will generate tons of new discourse installs!

3 Likes

Hi. I’m searching for forum software but can’t find any with good group functions (I want groups based on universities). Do you plan to include the ability to …

1. Invite a list of people via email to join? (not automatically join them with a file upload)
  2. Invite people to join directly into a group? (via a group code or password)
  3. Filter discussion posts by group (so people can see all posts, or just posts by members of a specific group)

I like your idea of a new look for forums. I want to work with university students, so a post year 2000 look would be great!

1 Like

This is already available in multiple places - on each topic (for TL >= …2?) and on your userpage (for TL >= …1?).

I’m waiting with baited breath for your hosting plans. The feature to have completely private, invite only forums (that don’t suck) is going to be a gamechanger.

Keep up the good work!

1 Like

Happy anniversary (yesterday)!

2 Likes

Excited at the news about 1.0 coming along. Question: will this “full” version number also mean an API compatibility freeze? As in, new features obviously will be added, but stamping the 1.0 API as “stable” with guarantee that what’s here will be compatible until 2.0?

Hard to say, but we will get more strict about what versioning means and breaking older stuff after 1.0.

Apologies for the necro, but:

I think all software should follow the Semantic Versioning model (share it with the whole team!).

1 Like

So, @codinghorror, I can’t help but notice that we are almost out of numbers and stuff!

Yep we are pretty close! We think by the middle of next month. Need to stabilize.

1 Like

3 Likes

6 Likes