The "un-pin" button is confusingly named such that it hides banner functionality

I went to set a topic as a banner topic this morning – but I couldn’t find the appropriate button. The topic was already pinned. Turns out that if you click the “unpin” button for a topic, it doesn’t actually unpin it, but gives you the option to either unpin it or make it a banner topic. This wasn’t clear from the label of the button.

As the popup is labelled “Feature this topic”, maybe the button should be labelled “Topic feature options”?

My guess is that it’s labelled as it is because not all users who can pin can also create banners – but if they also the see the popup, with its explanatory text, I don’t think that “Topic feature options” would be inappropriate.

Hmm yeah “Feature topic…” is quite defensible there.

No, this isn’t so.

I think he is referring to the admin menu/wrench. Which does what he describes on my sandbox running latest.

Clicking admin wrench produces

Clicking unpin produces

3 Likes

I am torn since banner is basically a nuclear pin. The wording is not really wrong.

It’s not technically wrong – when something is bannered, it’s implicitly unpinned (or super-pinned?). But it’s certainly not discoverable!

1 Like