This freaking software works so well I can’t even

Discourse is amazing.

I can’t tell you how many times I’ve started composing a question in the editor, and started searching for similar topics here, only to find that my issue has already been solved, and solved well. I was just about to ask about how to use something like a “custom user field”, except, oh, there are custom user fields, and they do exactly what you want, and the search works the way you want, and it will take you five minutes to add something that’s going to make your users happy and your site more useful.

I don’t know what your secret sauce is around here, but this whole project is an inspiration. I started a site during the pandemic to deal with the isolation and separation from my community, and not only has it succeeded in becoming valuable for my colleagues, it is partially responsible for current employment.

So, thank you so much.

:pray:

26 Likes

Awesome! So glad you are finding inspiration in Discourse. Our sauce is not so secret, really. It’s open sauce source!

I love your forum’s logo! :duck: :speech_balloon: :heart:

Screen Shot 2022-03-21 at 4.49.25 PM

10 Likes

Thanks!

The duck is in memory of the very unfortunate duckling in Chapter 4 of Edward Sapir’s Language: An Introduction to the Study of Speech .

The whole chapter is about the sentence the farmer kills the duckling.

:face_with_spiral_eyes:

(We also have a thing in documentary linguistics (docling) about wugs, so it’s the Wugly Docling. Ehem.)

5 Likes