Timestamp for posts requiring approval

We currently have turned on moderation for all posts created by TL0 and something odd that I have been noticing is that the time-stamp of the posts is the moment of approval and not the moment of creation.

This causes posts to be out of order and makes for an awkward flow of conversation.

7 Likes

Good point can we adjust this @eviltrout?

1 Like

We’ve discussed this a lot and always came to the conclusion that approved posts have to go into the bottom of the stream always at the time of approval.

If they didn’t, people would have scrolled past where the post should be, read other posts, then have no way of knowing something was inserted above.

Now if we’re not talking about the ordering and just the date, I could do that, but it would be confusing for some posts to have an earlier date than those after them.

8 Likes

This already happens. Look at moving posts from one topic to another. Last I checked the first post moved has it’s timestamp reset, the rest don’t.

3 Likes

Interesting. So is this what we should do? The original post wanted mentioned the order, but I can probably figure out how to change the date (but keep it the most recent in order) if people prefer that.

I predict it will lead to many questions about “why is the time wrong (out of sequence) on this post??” so I am against it. Will increase support load on the site owners, and us.

3 Likes

I rarely look at the time when a post was made, what I am more worried
about is that posts will seem out of context/out of order.
I had the case recently where a message from a new user was perfectly fine
and made sense, but it didn’t make sense anymore at the time, because the
discussion moved on.

1 Like