Topic List Previews (legacy)

does the plugin do anything that the TC doesn’t do?

1 Like

As per the OP if you install the sidecar plugin with the TC, there is practical feature parity.

The upsides of the TC are:

1. Easier to install and update
  2. The tiles renderer is responsive to sidebars (plugin can’t do this)
  3. There are featured topics on mobile (missing from plugin)

Downside:

1. There is a chrome limitation which causes the TC tiles renderer to corrupt after 10 desktop pages or so. This is an open issue with Chrome. But who scrolls down so far? In any case will probably be resolved when there is support in Chrome for subgrid as there will be a corresponding higher limit on grid rows. Can I use... Support tables for HTML5, CSS3, etc

Because of this one downside I’ve not decommissioned the plugin as yet.

2 Likes

my visitors will scroll that far. hmm, so let’s say i go forward with the plugin for now. can you think of any problems i might experience going from plugin to TC + sidecar when there’s Chrome support for subgrid?

by the way, what do you mean by sidebars? as in possible conflict with other plugins/TCs?

1 Like

Don’t dwell on it. You can switch any time.

3 Likes

@merefield It’s update time! :tada: Are there any known issues?

2 Likes

Not that I’m aware of :).

2 Likes

Thanks Robert! Everything went smoothly as always :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The option is missing. I am using the option in category to ‘Append Tags’ easily. Do i need to manually change the category settings over and over? Thanks!

1 Like

Yeah there’s no bulk select in TLP tiles view. One of those things that’s yet to be implemented. Suggest you use the TC and switch to a Theme without it to perform your moves?

3 Likes

Thank you for the suggestion and for the awesome plugin !

2 Likes

Hey, this annoyed me so much I’ve added code to remove links in excerpts (and a setting if you want to leave them alone). Currently this is only in the TC:

https://github.com/merefield/discourse-topic-list-previews-theme/commit/6f63d2141c1a6c3984e528701ec7a7fc7ab18823

https://github.com/merefield/discourse-topic-previews/commit/bdd7ba0baeb1bafc06658379a15affc0e861b7fd

NB: Update the TC first, then the theme sidecar plugin (you need both for this to work).

The result is now much cleaner and you can rebuild posts with oneboxes all you like and the links will not appear in the preview excerpt :+1:

:arrow_double_down:
(NB Theme sidecar plugin setting!)
:arrow_double_down:
:tada:

1 Like

Hi,

I am wondering if something like below can be done for categories instead of topics? Is this possible?

Thanks in advance!

3 Likes

Depends what you mean. In the TC there is a setting Show Featured Images that only exist in the current Category

Unfortunately that’s not available in the plugin I don’t believe.

The aim long term is to deprecate the plugin once the chrome limitation is resolved.

If you want scrollable pictures of Categories that’s outside the scope of this extension, it is ‘Topic’ list previews after all.

1 Like

Thanks for this very cool plugin and theme component!

I am focused right now on adding thumbnail images to the topic list previews. Apologies for what must be an extremely basic question:

How do I select the images to add next to the previews? Is there somewhere in the topic where I do that?

(I’ve gone through the theme component settings and do not see a note about this. I’ve tried adding images to the text of the topic, and that doesn’t do it. I assume I’m missing something obvious.)

2 Likes

This feature isn’t available in the TC unless you install the “theme sidecar” plugin. Linked in the OP.

Then a button appears when you edit the Topic meta.

1 Like

Ok. Thanks. For the plugin, how does it work? How do you select the image that will appear next to the topic list preview?

1 Like

Works same for plugin. When you hit that button you will get a modal with a grid of all the pictures in the Topic.

1 Like

That sounds really cool. I’ll try it out in the plugin.

The TC has the feature but you need to add the sidecar plugin for it to work. The TC is recommended if you have sidebars.

2 Likes

Testing out plugin locally. I’ve added it successfully to my local instance. When I go into a topic, and hit the pencil icon by the topic title, it shows 2 buttons that each say “select thumbnail”. When I hit either button, it says: "Select the desired preview thumbnail…for Topic: “[topic name]”.

But no images appear in the modal to select.

I do have a few images added to the topic, but they do not appear in the modal.

Error in console when I hit that pencil button: Error: Assertion Failed: The instance initializer 'preview-route-edits' has already been registered

and
ember:37774 Uncaught Error: Assertion Failed: Attempted to register a view with an id already in use: select-thumbnail-button