Topic List Previews

Correct.

Yes, loads of changes in Core. A real challenge to keep up this time.

3 Likes

Hi Robert,
First of all, thank you very mluch for that wonderful plugin and your hard work.
Since yesterday, the plugin seems unable to display small pictures into the Topic List:

Here’s the status of updates and settings:

URL my forum:

The git I’m using is https://github.com/paviliondev/discourse-topic-previews.git
Is there anything wrong in the settings ?
1 Like

As per guidance this plugin is temporarily partially broken because of huge changes to Discourse Core. We do not support Production upgrades now outside 1st to 5th of month. It was working on the 5th. If you install or upgrade outside this period you do so at your own risk.

I’m currently focusing on delivering an experimental Theme Component with a cut-down feature set.

I should get back to the plugin later this month.

3 Likes

I wasn’t aware of it. I’ll stay tuned. Thank you again

3 Likes

Pleasure. This plugin and others are supremely complex now and a significant effort to maintain. The constant shifting of core over which we have no control and frequent breaking changes make it a challenge. That’s why we recently introduced that policy: it gives us some breathing room!

Thanks for your understanding.

3 Likes

OK big improvements to the experimental Theme Component:

• Featured Images should be working fully and better than ever (I rewrote much of it), with optional excerpts and you can select their dimensions. They now work on mobile
  • Category selectors should be working
  • Settings descriptions should reflect what still hasn’t been done/fixed
  • Some features removed/changed that worked in plugin because of lack of bespoke API.

NB#2 Chrome still struggles with my masonry renderer, there’s a limited scroll distance before the view becomes messed up … this is due to a browser limitation/me arrogantly pushing the boundaries of CSS and it’s currently being worked on by their development team. I’ve chosen to do it this way because 1. it’s responsive to sidebars 2. it’s ULTRA quick. 3. It should soon be fixed hopefully. Try it in Firefox or Safari for the full experience.

3 Likes

I’ve updated to latest and now I have the same problem I do with the custom wizard plugin, I can only select tags that are not in tag groups. In my case this is just the one test tag. I can’t type anything in now.

2 Likes

That’s a potential Discourse issue I think David. I’m using a native setting type.

topic_list_featured_images_tag:
  type: list
  list_type: tag
  default: ''
  description:
    en: "Featured images tag."

However, have you set this?:

Notice the restriction

1 Like

It may very well be a discourse issue then. Many of my tag groups do not have a required parent tag, so that’s not the problem. I’ll pose this question in support, thanks!

2 Likes

I could turn this back into a text field. That will remove the tag picker. We can put it back later?

1 Like

That could be a temporary solution for now. Before I post something, I’m curious if anyone else can reproduce this problem?

1 Like

Would be good to identify another theme component with a tag picker …

1 Like

Another solution for the time being is just to use a new independent tag?

1 Like

Yes, that will work for now with this component since it’s just the one tag I need, thanks!

2 Likes

Emojis present in posts are not displayed in excerpts, at least in tiles mode. Is this a know problem?

2 Likes

Yeah, that was low priority. but thanks for the reminder. It’s fixed now in the TC, update to latest! Emojis FTW :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

@merefield Thank you so much! This was so fast, I’m considering running a subliminal Turing test. :wink:

2 Likes

Glad to see this move to mobile as well as to a theme component! The only thing I couldn’t get to work was

Is ‘true’ the correct value here? I tried absolute and relative links in the thumbnail field, but it wouldn’t show an image either way.

Thanks for your efforts!

2 Likes

So the way the first setting works is that it rescues the view if the thumbnail is not ultimately retrievable (the url fails). This works I believe.

What it doesn’t do is add a thumbnail where there wasn’t one in the first place.

That’s a bug with the second setting. I’ll take a look.

1 Like

That’s now fixed.

NB The Theme Component only allows one site wide default.

1 Like