Topic List Previews (legacy)

Is there anything you do that triggers the problem? Since it’s not happening all the time, something is changing. By a soft reload I take it you mean you refresh the page in the browser? Have you tried clearing your browser’s cache and then see if error still occurs?

The big question is: Do any of your members also have this problem?

No they have not yet reported this error. I will ask some of them to keep an eye on this.

@merefield It is random and somewhat inconsistent to trigger this. but I encounter this everyday now. I will may be record a video when I encounter this bug again. And report here with more details.

Another issue

I am riddled with found another bug / (missing feature?) where unread messages in the category page is not styled in gray colour making all post look same. For example when viewing this category page the unread posts are indistinguishable.

Here is how it looks when I disable the TC

1 Like

Hopefully you will be able to find one consistent way of reproducing it. I look forward to you letting me know.

riddled? Interesting choice of word. Simply looks like one consistent bug/missing feature to me. I’ll take a look in the week

1 Like

Sorry, if it meant something else. I am not a native speaker of English so I may have used the wrong word.

I edited the sentence now.

2 Likes

No problem. I’ll look to fix that in the week, thanks for reporting it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello! We see the same bug on our forum. We were using the deprecated module. When upgrading to 2.8.0.beta8 we started having the same problem. We decided to use the new theme component, and it’s working except for theming those lists. The link color is wrong, but the padding is also wrong.

From what I can tell, the element is losing the topic-list-data CSS class, so it’s not applying the theme correctly. Deactivating the theme component fixes the issue.

2 Likes

Can someone explain exactly how we get the TC version working? We commented out the plugin and installed the TC but the page in question now just displays the traditional list of posts.

Thanks

1 Like

Hmmm, my co-developer management to get the new TC working but we’re back to square one — all entries in all the categories are displayed as unread.

1 Like

Having reviewed this it was not a bug, it was a breaking change due to changes in the core app.

Note we normally don’t support those mid-month so you are advised against upgrading mid-month normally.

However, I appreciate I’ve caused you guys to have to maintain your setups mid-month. So …

I’ve fixed the visited “low-lighting” of titles for both tiles and non-tiles views on desktop and brought the templates more up-to-date with some of the recent changes:

I’ll take a look at mobile at some point.

Please update your TC and let me know if you see any related issues.

5 Likes

Thank you for the update. :hugs:

I also want to report another tiny bug still remain. :yum:

When users include a large image in top of the post, the “excerpt” and “Read More” no longer clickable, because discourse generate lightbox for the image. The code <a class=\"lightbox\" href=\"\" data-download-href=\"\" title=\"Image title\"></a> included in excerpt break the link.

I understand that it may be discourse core problem of including lightbox code in excerpt, but I am not sure who can I reported to and whether they will fix it.

I am just thinking whether we can make the “read more” button clickable without wait until discourse remove the lightbox code from excerpt, because it may take some time. :thinking:

2 Likes

With the TC only installed, there’s little I can do with the excerpts.

However, with the sidecar plugin added, I have more control.

That said I’m inclined to “dumb down” the excerpt to remove links and formatting to reduce the risk of display corruption. If you want the full thing you will just have to click through.

Given that the excerpts are a core feature though I arguably shouldn’t need to do any work in this space.

2 Likes

If this happens with the topic-list-previews theme component disabled, please feel free to make a new #ux topic. If you can include a screenshot of the issue, that would be great!

4 Likes

Thank you for your reply. :hugs:

Yes, it happen with TLP TC disabled as well.
For image, it include the lightbox code in excerpt.

<a class="lightbox" href="" data-download-href="" title="ImageTitle"></a>

For header, it include the anchor in excerpt.

<a name="header" class="anchor" href="#header"></a>

Both of them break the link and cause both “excerpt” and “read more” button unclickable.

I will make a new #ux topic with screenshot included.

Thank you :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

4 Likes

Thank you so much — this fixed the problem for us. Really appreciate it.

3 Likes

Pleasure, David. There’s still much to do on this Component but I’ll be getting to it over the course of the next few months.

Note that we shifted the Topic to: Topic List Previews Theme Component - theme - Discourse Meta

2 Likes

Thank you for the fix :pray:t3:

3 Likes

I’m using plugin, how to move all thing to new Theme Component? Just remove plugin and install Theme Component or what?

2 Likes

Correct, there is no way of automatically moving configuration, unfortunately.

1 Like

I am willling to help with a script that would semi-automate this. Is there an overview of where each setting in the plugin would go in the theme component?

2 Likes

Sounds a bit like overkill? But if someone finds it useful … no such mapping exists currently.

1 Like