Topic List Thumbnails Theme Component

Thank you! Works now on both instaces :slight_smile:.

4 Likes

Thank you @david . That was very fast!

4 Likes

Hello, @david! I have “list” as a default thumbnail mode. “masonry categories” styling is chosen for some categories. After I open some pages that have “list” styling, my masonry categories look like this:

To remove it I need to refresh the page.
Do you have an idea how to solve it?

1 Like

Hey @david

I am testing it right now but images are not loaded on our staging instance:
Outdoor - Forum | Cannabisanbauen.net

Plugins like TLP are not enabled, so I am really stuck here. Any ideas from your side?

1 Like

Some of those topics are quite old - could you try clicking the :wrench: on the first post, then “Rebuild HTML”?

Is TLP installed at all? Unfortunately disabling a plugin does not necessarily stop all of its modifications.

3 Likes

Just rebuilt HTML for the first 4 topic’s posts, issue persists.

it’s been installed previously but currently uninstalled

1 Like

Do you have the create thumbnails setting enabled? Any errors shown if you visit /logs?

2 Likes

just checked, it’s enabled.

no errors in logs

edit: interestingly enough it works on our live environment
scr below

1 Like

Hi! I have the same problem. Many old posts had thumbnails, but the disappeared now. I rebuilt html, but it didn’t help. I have the latest version of the component and 2.7.0.beta7 ( 75abe8d295 )

Update: the issue is caused by the setting " max image size kb "
All images have been uploaded before I changed this setting. there was no limit and images had size more than 200kb. But I set a limit in the setting to 200kb. After that thumbnails for images that are greater than 200kb disappeared. After getting the setting back they appeared again.

Please, check this problem.

2 Likes

Hey Ed

max image size kb is set to 4096, I never made any changes to that setting. Setting it to 40960 and rebuilding HTML doesn’t help either.

1 Like

This is a great feature. Does this come with Discourse 2.7 as mentioned here? Or is the syntax different?

1 Like

It’s available in Discourse 2.7 stable, yes. The syntax is the same :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I have a very odd problem that only applies to one member on my site. Some thumbnails do not display, seemingly randomly. It displays the default icon as if there was no image, yet for myself and everyone else the thumbnail displays. I had him look in his console and there is nothing pertinent, nothing in the logs either. I’ve had him try clearing the cache, trying different browsers and devices, and using a different isp. I even had him try a theme with only this component enabled. No matter what he tries this still happens. I even tried impersonating him and then it doesn’t happen for me. Any other thoughts on troubleshooting this? Thanks!

1 Like

Have him try on mobile with wifi disabled so he’s not going through his home network, but the cellular network. This will eliminate anything on his network from interfering.

But if you have tried “different ISP” then maybe not.

1 Like

I can’t get this to work anymore, did this revert perhaps?

Also, the feature is not easy to discover for users. Would it be possible to add an option to select the thumbnail to the ‘size selection’ in the preview?

4 Likes

Thanks Jeff, he has tried hotspotting to his phone, and at a friends house with a different ISP. I thought it might be a CDN issue so I tried clearing the CDN cache which did not help him. I also tried impersonating him while using a VPN in Atlanta where he is from which did not help either. I’m not sure what else to try.

1 Like

3 posts were split to a new topic: Caching for tag topic lists?

It’s still working for me. Can you share some more details about what you tried, and what result you’re seeing? This is what I have in my test OP:

![image|690x460](upload://1lGVHoB5KKnftUZoEYVgANxKdWL.jpeg)
![image|612x500|thumbnail](upload://cILOby5v31IEtJtbOEEDgXQPZ7Z.jpeg)

and the second image is correctly selected as the thumbnail.

I agree that would be nice, but I don’t think it would be needed for most sites. I think it would make a great separate theme component.

2 Likes

Ha, that’s embarrassing, of course it does work now… :facepalm:

2 Likes

Hi @david,

I have the following requirement and maybe you can point me to how to achieve this.

Sometimes we have a topic that we want to share via social media and we prepare an image for it that should be used as thumbnail and for the og:image tags, but we don’t want it to be visible inside the topic.

How could we realize something like this e.g. add “hide” to the sizes and then a class is added to the image container that applies “display: none;”?

![image|612x500|hide](upload://cILOby5v31IEtJtbOEEDgXQPZ7Z.jpeg)

1 Like