Topics created by ignored users showing on homepage

Hi, apologies if I’m doing this wrong or if it’s in the wrong category - first post. I am a moderator on a site that uses this software and I have noticed that when I select ‘ignore’ a user, their posts still show up in my feed, i.e. on the homepage. When I click on it the actual content shows as 'Ignored content. Could this be fixed so that ignored users are completely filtered out of people’s feed?

2 Likes

I’ve seen this issue too - on our forum user mutes/ignores are critical for some.

Showing the topics of muted/ignored users on the homepage (to the right of the category list) is definitely a serious bug. (Desktop only naturally)

2 Likes

I am pretty sure this is by design at the moment, @david can confirm.

I guess we should change it so ignored users topics are omitted from latest.

3 Likes

Yeah that’s right - at the moment muting users only hides post content, it won’t hide whole topics.

I guess we could make it apply to topics which the muted user creates, but it means you would miss all the replies from “non muted” users along the way…

4 Likes

Oh wow, I’m quite surprised to learn that it is intentional. I guess for other sites maybe that does make sense, specifically because of:

Our site is probably not typical - the topics being made are very personal and revolve around the creator themselves the vast majority of the time, as do the replies. It’s not a forum centered around a fandom or product, it’s a place for people struggling with mental health to vent and/or seek support.

The situation we have is that person x wants to see nothing at all from person y, as their very prescense is triggering to them. I do personally think that regardless of the forum type, if you mute a user you shouldn’t see them at all anywhere - including their created topics. I don’t think that behaviour should necessarily be unique to “our kind” of site.

2 Likes

Yeah that makes a lot of sense - when the topics are heavily centred around the topic creator, then muting the whole topic is desirable.

The flip side is a community like meta, where we often have #feature topics that span multiple years. The OP of those topics often have no particular control over the topic - they were just the first to suggest it.

If we do implement this, it may have to be behind a setting so that site admins can turn it on/off depending on their community style.

4 Likes

Yeah the flipside does make sense to me too, if this could be implemented behind a toggle that would be great!

@sam @david Just reading through this post just made me think of something.

Could the muted/ignored users posts be dumped/extracted from a thread and placed into a type of TL3 style Catagory under a specific TLX flag that only users that are Blocked/Ignored can see.

I Recently Got Up To TL3 as a user and seeing this invisible category that we hardly use is uniques so repurposing this as a type of
Timeout/Cooling Of Room may
work.

Just an Idea Mind You.