Turkish character problem in title

hi,

I have a problem as below;

site language is Turkish.
when i paste a word as a title like GIDA it shown as gida. But it must be gıda. Because GIDA has I not İ.

Any idea please.

Thanks.

This happens when the title has only uppercase letters, the site setting title_prettify is enabled and the site setting allow_uppercase_posts is disabled.

Ruby has an optional parameter for String#downcase that we could use when the default locale is Turkish, but I’m really on the fence here. What if someone uses “CIA BLA BLA” as topic title on a Turkish forum?

So, here are some solutions for you:

• Don’t use all uppercase letters in titles: “GIDA BLA BLA bla” would works fine!
  • Or enable the allow_uppercase_posts site setting
  • Or disable the title_prettify site setting
3 Likes

thank you.

So there is no solution until you mentioned below is live. Right?

it is just a example :slight_smile:

i will use discourse as a wiki for a project, only way is coping texts from somewhere and all titles are uppercase :frowning:

this may be so ugly :frowning:

but i need this :slight_smile:

I am going to change this to feature

The feature request here is to support title_prettify when a site’s locale is set to Turkish.

I think this is a reasonable request as long as you can help us set out where the rules in core diverge for cases where the locale of the site is Turkish.

2 Likes

Thank you.

It is a pleasure for me.

I can share a list with you.

Hi,

I prepared a list. If it is not enough, i can do more. thank you.

title_prettify_turkish - Sheet1.pdf (52.2 KB)

1 Like

I say if SiteSetting.default_locale is set to tr_TR it makes sense to use :turkic versions of downcase / capitalize etc in TextCleaner

Seems like the right thing to do. I guess if we want to provide an escape hatch we could make a hidden site setting to disable this on Turkish sites that use English titles.

Do you want to take this @gerhard ?

3 Likes
4 Likes

Problem solved. Thanks again :relaxed:

3 Likes