Unable to quote multiple paragraphs or anything across different HTML tags

Just updated from 2.6.0.beta1 to 2.6.0.beta3 (6acd2ab7d4), and unable to quote multiple paragraphs since the update.

The default locale is Chinese, but the problem persists even using English.

Screenshots under safe mode, disabling all themes and plugins.

Have tried rebaking the posts.
I was unable to reproduce the problem on meta.

1 Like

If you can’t reproduce on meta, then it is specific to your site. Any unusual plugins? Themes? Did you try in safe mode?

1 Like

Same behavior under safe mode, and it’s the same on desktop and mobile device.

List of all plugins:

1 Like

Any JavaScript errors in the f12 console?

1 Like

Only some deprecation notices in the console

Screenshot

2 Likes

Safe mode doesn’t fully disable plugins, you may need to comment them out and rebuild.

1 Like

Rebuilt with all official and unofficial plugins commented out, but still have the same behavior.
Tried on multiple devices and browsers.

2 Likes

Have done some more testing, and realized it is more like unable to quote text across different HTML tags, even they are in the same line.

2 Likes

Hi @alexaw
Just to say I have experienced this issue as well on the discourse instance I co-moderate. See my topic: Quoting only partially works
I haven’t found any solution yet either. This bug appeared when upgrading from 2.6.0.beta1 to beta2. Maybe we could check if we have anything in common.

1 Like

@alex21 Our recent upgrade is from 2.6.0.beta1 to 2.6.0.beta3, so i guess upgrading to beta 3 won’t solve your problem…
What plugins / theme / extra css are you using?

1 Like

I have tried safe mode and changing theme, though no difference.

1 Like

So we have no plugins in common except docker manager and data explorer, hmm…

Same here, I have also tried commented out all plugins and rebuild.

2 Likes

I’m experiencing issues with the quote function as well. It is not entirely consistent though and therefore not entirely duplicable. Different users report experiencing issues as well.

When I tried to quote using my iPhone (something I’ve certainly done before), it would now only let me quote a single word; after I selected and highlighted more text beyond a single word, the prompt to quote would not appear.

When quoting on my laptop, it seems rather inconsistent and I haven’t noticed a pattern. Although, if I double-click / highlight a single word, the quote function does seem to appear consistently. The issue seems to exist when highlighting / selecting text beyond a single word, but inconsistently so.

We had updated to the most recent version of Discourse (2.6.0.beta3) not long ago, so it would seem this issue may be a bug in the most recent update.

3 Likes

Multiple users are experiencing this issue in our forums today as well. I can easily reproduce it. It seems to have started with an upgrade we did last week.

It also occurs just when quoting more than one paragraph, even with no special formatting. So I think the scope of the bug is a little bit greater than the initial description in the first post in this thread.

3 Likes

Unless it can be reproduced here, it’s 100% something on the other site, either a config option, theme, plugin, etc.

1 Like

I’m also getting this issue, only since recent upgrade.

In addition to the above, quoting any kind of formatting (e.g. just strong text) stops the quote function from appearing on our install (though admittedly works here on Meta).

I’d be interested in any clues on resolution - thanks!

1 Like

That would mean that all the people who reported to have this problem have a common setting that would cause this issue? Would there be a way of comparing the different configurations?
And then, what option/setting in the update from beta1 to beta2 or beta3 could cause an issue with quoting? Was any part of the code changed that could affected quoting or related, and thus trigger this issue? I can see in the release notes that “Site admins can enable additional options when quoting for users to share the quote externally”.
I’m trying to ask useful questions, sorry if they feel a bit stupid or basic :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I don’t know – unless we can reproduce it, we are flying blind. It doesn’t repro on try or meta. Does anyone have repro steps here on meta?

2 Likes

I tried everything I could think of for quoting on Meta, but nothing that causes the issue on my forum causes the issue here. Perhaps a setting that is activated on Discourse and not on the problematic forums, or vice versa? (I understood it’s quite hard to identify which option)

2 Likes

I’m really at a loss to give you anything to do here, since removing plugins and themes (and browsers) are the main variables. Unless we can repro here on meta or try, we’re dead in the water. No idea what to do.

2 Likes