User Trust Level Manually isn't being set

https://meta.discourse.org/t/feature-mod-manually-sets-a-users-trust-level/8021/19?u=hb_ryn

Is all I’ve found on the issue, but when trying to demote someone from trust level 3 > 2 this is what happens:

Click

Going into admin and under trust levels, if I try to “x” out the user and hit “save” it reloads the page and essentially does nothing again.

I just tried on our forum and it worked a treat.

I went to one of my test accounts Admin page
Changed the dropdown from TL2 to TL1
Saved
The test account’s Profile then showed TL1 and the TL2 Badge was no longer there.

Are you on latest? Be on the latest check in.

Yep, on the latest, I’m attempting from 3 > 2, could it be that the auto-promotion to level 3 is denying the demotion?

http://puu.sh/aq5jT/2b9fe9ca2b.png

Any specific setting that can be preventing this from happening?

Edit:

A tested around a bit more and apparently I can promote/demote someone, but I cannot demote them past any trust level they earned on their own. As in, if I didn’t promote them manually to trust level 2, or 1, or 3, whichever one it may be, then I cannot demote them past the trust level they earned. Which is an issue, because the auto-promotion to level 3 is apparently pretty easy to attain and some demotion is required.

If you think TL3 is too easy to get, why not increase the criteria for it in the site settings so it is harder to get?

That doesn’t exactly fix the bug though.

Figured a slight work-around. Setting the requirements ridiculously high allows them to be demoted, but regardless demotion by a staff member shouldn’t be prevented if the user fits the requirements of the trust level.

@neil I can confirm I am unable to demote myself to trust level 2 on meta.

@codinghorror was is this meant to be supported (the ability to demote a user below their automatically granted trust level)

No, I don’t think we planned to support it in V1.

recategorizing this to feature then.

Sent in a fix for being re-promoted to TL3:

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/pull/2796

3 Likes

Does this just prevent the user from getting TL3 or can it forcibly lock someone into TL 3 when they haven’t met the requirements for it (the scenario we find ourselves “kind of” wanting)

It does both - if it’s set to locked, they are neither considered for promotion nor demotion.

The updated promotion requirements page has correct text to explain that.

2 Likes

Yep, note to self: Next time read the GitHub comment before replying!

Sorry about that, I should have saw that. Thanks for the quick response (even though I was hoping to edit my prior post before you saw it…)

This now works 100%

You can demote / promote a user to any trust level.

If you move them below the trust level the deserve their trust level will be locked meaning that they will not be able to get out of this trust level until you unlock it.

1 Like

Hmm I think the locking should be an explicit Boolean checkbox.

Lock / Unlock is explicit. I just found it very annoying to lock up a lower trust level without implicit logic.

EG.

• Try to change trust level to 0, “Sorry you can not do this cause trust level is not locked”
  • Lock trust level at 3
  • Change trust level to 0

It just felt majorly awkward for no real gain. So instead we just treat moving trust level down beyond what you are allowed as an implicit lock and display that as well. Moving up to TL2 will not cause an implicit lock, but moving to TL3 will.

2 Likes