Usercard Redesign Experiment

Quick bug report.

When you click through to a badge it leaves the card up during the transition. It should hide it early. (Firefox Linux)

5 Likes

Discord does an interesting thing for their default user card banner. They use the average flat color from the userā€™s avatar.

Example:

Using https://matkl.github.io/average-color/:

5 Likes

Here is my example of this:

Screenshot 2023-02-17 09.12.40
They are not the same, however.
Update: I hit a preset color, causing the colors to not be the same. (my bad)

1 Like

Hmmm. Not sure whatā€™s going on there. Expected more blue!

2 Likes

FYI similar is done in Discourse: in Topic List Previews, although itā€™s using ā€œDominant Colourā€, not ā€œaverageā€

I suspect Dominant Colour will give better results.

5 Likes

Is this bug being addressed as part of this redesign?

It is a bit upstream from the User Card I know, but causes a significant problem on the User Cards when they clash with Watched Words.

4 Likes

Just to close the loop Nathan:

8 Likes

This is added in the new update:

Add google maps link via site setting to user location

Would be awesome to also have support for OpenStreetMap.

8 Likes

This is added now :smile: You can now decide on using either Google Maps or OpenStreetMap in the settings :+1:

5 Likes

I think itā€™s a good redesign overall, but I think itā€™s important to have badge labels. Being able to distinguish between badges with the same icon at a glance is really important for a quick preview like this. For example, without the label, you canā€™t tell if this icon:
2023-03-06 16_03_48-Badges - Blender Artists Community
is a Famous Link, Great Reply, or Great Topic (as theyā€™re configured on our site, YMMV). Itā€™s even worse for the Getting Started category of badges- there are 16 badges that share the exact same icon there, with vastly different implications. Itā€™s important for me as a moderator to be able to see when someone has a badge for reading the guidelines, for instance, but with this new design, that badge looks the same as 15 other highly different badges (including things like First Onebox and New User of the Month)

4 Likes

Please make it optional when you guys add this new user card to the discourse. The old one is much better than this new one and not to say that it adds a weird background color to the card which looks awful. and it does not show anything on the user card no info there.

Overall I donā€™t like it so would ask you please donā€™t force this on the discourse when you guys add this to the discourse.

2 Likes

Weā€™d love to know what you like about the old design!

Could you expound on this? I see information when I click on your card and mine as well.

1 Like

New one

Screenshot 2023-03-07 203021

2 Likes

Are you using this on your own forum?

2 Likes

That looks like itā€™s my theme based on the transparency. Weā€™ve been talking for a while now with all of the issues you have had and Iā€™m not sure how much longer I can help unfortunately because the issues arenā€™t in the actual theme, rather incompatibilities I canā€™t seem to find.

2 Likes

Any errors in your console?

1 Like

I was thinking this could be a theme compatibility issue.

nope.

btw, I would like to put my opinion the background color looks unpleasant when it picks the same color as the profile image. it would be better if you put a default background image or something rather than a profile color on the background. and the background should be blurred as this

1 Like

personally, i really like it. this should be on a site level setting because i see people donā€™t really like it, but i think itā€™s great

working fine for me:

2 Likes

This has been low-key bugging me, so after some looking, I found

ā€¦ which I think does a much better job for this purpose than taking the average. Examples from peopleā€™s avatars in this thread:

Code here: color-finder/colorfinder-1.1.js at master Ā· pieroxy/color-finder Ā· GitHub

12 Likes

This is my intent to eventually switch to this sort of pattern. The issue at hand though is that due to images being hosted on a CDN, this sort of thing doesnt work.

NOTE: Due to restrictions to the canvas object, this works only if the image comes from your own domain.

We have something that does this for images in our rails backend, but I am not able to access it via theme component. Since this is just an experiment for now I think Iā€™ll hold off on this until it is easier to do.

1 Like