Users can initiate chat with unprivileged users

Hey!

We have enabled chat for TL3/4/Staff only. I don’t see the chat option on the user cards of TL0/1/2 users, but someone just pointed out that they CAN search for such users and apparently initiate a chat with them. We tested, and the other party doesn’t receive anything. Is this intentional, or a bug?

3 Likes

edit: I see now what is going on… yea I don’t think this is expected behavior.

Can you provide a screen recording of this? because I just tested this and I cannot reproduce. the Channels/DMs options with the “+” (what you are showing in your screenshot) should not even be appear in the sidebar (nor should the chat icon in the header bar) for users without appropriate trust level permissions for chat.

1 Like

I think the problem is that users who are not allowed to chat still appear in search when you (as a user who is allowed to chat) start a new DM.

3 Likes

This is exactly what I tried to (and apparently failed :wink: ) to describe.

2 Likes

aha - I see now. And yes I can reproduce this. Thanks for clarifying what the OP meant. :smiley:

I can even create a group chat with TL’s lower than TL-3 :thinking:

1 Like

Note that while you can start a chat, they won’t receive anything.

2 Likes

Do they not receive anything, or do they get it and are just unable to see it until they have the proper TL?

1 Like

Ah, I didn’t test that. I just had a TL1 test user and they did not get any kind of notification.

2 Likes

This has since been fixed here by @joffreyjaffeux :tada: :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 3 days. New replies are no longer allowed.