Users with Gmail accounts not getting emails from our forum

Hello,

As the title says. We have a private email server set up for our discourse forum @ forum.ezair.online. The email has been set up correctly and sends emails for new signups, password changes ect for everyone not using a gmail email. I set up my admin account with a gmail and I don’t receive any emails from the forum.

We tested the email server to see if our emails were being blocked and that doesn’t seem to be the issue as all emails sent directly from our email server are being delivered to any domain for email.

I am not sure what to do to fix this issue? Is there a setting I missed?

Thank you for your help

3 Likes

It is kind of blocked. There is big chance you aren’t using right DKIM, SPF and/or DMARC values in DNS.

Then Google refuses delivery those mails.

8 Likes

I am using MailGun, and the SMTP server that my MailGun account was using was being blocked by various email providers including Yahoo Mail and AOL and Apple. It seems that the email server I was using was shared and had sent too much spam to those providers. In response, I could see in the logs that the providers sent messages detailing why they were blocking my email

So I am wondering if a similar situation could be happening here, but with your private email server, and with Gmail. Maybe Gmail does not like your server for some reason? You have verified that other email providers are not blocking it?

2 Likes

Is the IP of your server that is sending emails listed as “poor” on Barracuda? That was an issue for one of my domains a while back, and Gmail started accepting my emails after it was removed.

2 Likes

I have verified that other email providers are receiving email our discourse e-mailer. Even when I send an email directly from the server it comes in to our gmail users… It just seems that emails sent by the system are being blocked.

1 Like

How would I check this? I looked at the site but can’t find the place where I could enter my ip address to check.

Thank you

1 Like

If your server can email Gmail normally (like you just said above), then there’s probably a different issue at hand.

2 Likes

Hate to ask an obvious question but have you asked users to check their spam folders?

Google was sending emails from my blog going to my domain email using their service to spam, not expected but happened.

2 Likes

I have checked that. They aren’t even making it to the spam folder when sent by discourse.

2 Likes

Use this

Check MX, then maybe their blacklist links if needed

3 Likes

The MX looks good and seems we are blacklisted on spfbl.net… which has a bad reputation anyway… so I’m not overly concerned…

SPFBL.net doesn’t like that I have privacy settings for the domain which is why its blacklisted there

2 Likes

Turns out our tech guy forgot to put DKIM back on after a change… they were sure it never got deleted… but I guess thats all it took.

Thank you to everyone for your assistance!

7 Likes

I am wondering if your “noreply@sitedomain.com” user name is being blocked? If so maybe Changing the username might not be blocked?

Maybe “donotreply@sitename.com” ?

Another option if self hosted use a different mailserver for Gmail accounts with this plugin

This can also be great as a backup provider for staff is using same or same unique email domain. Ie yourname@yoursite.com

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.