View jumps all the way up to new post in 2.2

Our Discourse instance has been updated from 2.1 to 2.2 yesterday and i have noticed a change on how a topic is opened.

When i open a topic with a new reply, the thread page is scrolled all the way down, so i only see the new reply at the very top of the view. Then i see suggested topics and other UI elements (that are not relevant most of the time for me). I think in older version it was doing it differently and i was able to see a few previous posts before the latest reply. Which i find more useful as i can quickly get some context of a discussion. Now i have to scroll back every time i open a topic.

What do you think? What was the reason to change the behavior and maybe it can be altered to show at least one or two posts before the latest reply?

1 Like

I guess we want different things as this annoyed the hell out of me. When I enter a topic, I want the first post to be the one I haven’t read (or was linked to). I don’t want to have to search for the post in the middle of the page.

1 Like

Did we change this? :thinking: I can’t recall.

1 Like

Yes, I did but that was a while back that I’m not even sure what release it was in.

We used to show 20% or the previous posts.

2 Likes

Per OP it must have been done early in 2.1 then.

2 Likes

Since this is all client-side, it might be fixable using a theme component though.

2 Likes

It depends on usage and habits probably. I often have to read and reply to topics that get a new reply after a week or months. I can’t understand the context from the last reply usually. It also feels like unproductive use of my screen as everything below the last post is not so useful/relevant. Also, my eyes are glued to the top of my monitor :smiley:

3 Likes

I gotta say, i also find this odd and found the previous way a bit more intuitive as i got context out of the thread before reading the new post.

1 Like