Viewing the site as a lower trust level user

I am wondering if there was an option to view the site from e.g. a TL2 perspective without having to go and create a new account.

I am an admin on my site, so I get to see the forum with all the unlisted topics or topics in locked categories/ side bar with extra content etc

I am keen to see how it looks for other Users easily, especially where I am testing disabling or enabling a new feature.

Edit: ok it seems like there has been a couple of these questions cropping up already and the answer is to just create an account… RIP :smiling_face_with_tear:
“Visit as a new user” - support - Discourse Meta
View Forum as User X - feature - Discourse Meta

You can impersonate other users to see how the forum looks like for them.

2 Likes

Thank you! But damn that still sounds like a lot of extra work logging in and out :frowning:

I have a few test users for this kind of thing. :slight_smile: I generally have a couple of different browsers (Firefox and Chrome) to allow me to be logged in as both myself and a test user at the same time, as well as an incognito/private window for both so I can have some extras too if needed. :+1: This allows me to keep my admin screen up and running to adjust any user settings, etc without needing to log in and out.

3 Likes

That is not pollite way and forces that user logging in again.

1 Like

Yes it is. Well, that work load doesn’t exacly kill you, but it is a bit annoying. But you can anonymizate yoursef (if it is allowed) and change that person’s rights?

1 Like

Haha I’d say it partially kills me and my old clunky work surface pro lol I reckon a “view as” button would win a popular vote

But thank you @JammyDodger :blush: I thought I only had 2 browsers (work security), but the incognito tip gives double that!

1 Like