Whenever children login, an email should be sent to the parents account

Hi Guys,

I am having a use-case where i need to send an email to a user/other user regarding that he/she login on the discourse forum.

I researched & found that currently there is no option for sending an email.

Please suggest me some steps for achieving this.
Please help :slightly_smiling_face:
Thanks

You would likely get better support if you say more about your use case.

You will likely need a plugin.

2 Likes

Hey,
Thanks for the help.

Use case - there will be parents & childrens user account.

So whenever a children try login discourse forum, an email should be sent to the parents account.

Thanks

2 Likes

You’ll definitely need a plugin for that. It’ll need a custom field for the parent address. Also, do you think you want to send the email when they log in, or when they visit the site? Users typically need to log in only once unless they make a point to log out. If someone told you that the email needs to be sent when kids log in, you should not tell them what I just told you. :wink:

Since you are the first person to ask for this, it sounds like bad legal advice to me. But there is a long history of schools following bogus advice.

3 Likes

This would require a (literal!) parent-child relationship between accounts which we don’t really have in any form.

8 Likes

Maybe you could create a custom user field for “parent email address” that people can fill in as they set up their accounts. You can then follow up to get in touch with their parents before approving the account? If your community is for a small number of children and their parents, and you pretty much know everyone already, this should be manageable.

For a larger community where you can’t verify these relationships directly it can be tricky to come up with a workable process and then actually implement it. But yet, as Jay says… you’ll need a plugin. Or SSO with another platform that handles login.

2 Likes

@Subham_Joshi

This is not exactly what you are describing, but you may be able to make it work for your general requirement (the concept of following and notifications, between relationships):

4 Likes