I’ve done a couple of these implementations now and think I have a decent handle of all the moving cogs, so I figure I might as well offer help in this department.
What I Can Do
- Single Sign On (SSO)
- When a user logs into WordPress, they will also be logged into Discourse, seamlessly.
- Username will be checked for Discourse validity on WordPress registration.
- Will also set the WordPress login cookie to remain valid indefinitely like the Discourse cookie (normally the WP cookie expires after 2 weeks).
- User Data Sync
- Email and display name will be consistent across WordPress and Discourse. Avatar from Discourse can be sent to WordPress and saved as user meta (which can then be used in templates). I can also clean up the WordPress user profile pages to remove extraneous fields to make them more user-friendly.
- Group Sync
- This is important if you have a membership site. I can add/remove users to groups in Discourse depending on their permissions in WordPress. I’ve worked with gravity+ and WishList Member, and I should be able to accommodate most other membership plugins as well. Discourse group access will be gained and lost immediately (no delay or requiring user to log out and log in again).
- Other Cool Stuff
- I can probably do small assorted requests too. For example, on my site a PM will automatically start between our editors and the contributor whenever a new post is submitted for review. I also have a sidebar widget displaying the latest topics from Discourse along with user notifications and PMs. Little helpful functions like that.
The code I create for you will be saved as a WordPress plugin file, so you’ll be able to activate/deactivate it, change themes without worry, etc. The plugin will not come with a settings page; the code will all be configured in the plugin file itself. Each instance of integration is going to be unique and it doesn’t make a lot of sense to even attempt to make an options page for this type of job. I will comment the code as best I can so it’s clear if you ever need to go in and change anything.
Send me a private message detailing exactly what you want done and I’ll be able to give you an estimate, but for reference I recently did a fairly elaborate membership site integration from scratch (I installed Discourse, helped make sure the WordPress membership plugin itself was configured properly, then did SSO, group syncing, and all that integration jazz) for $1,000. For smaller projects I charge $50/hour.