You can now install Discourse on DigitalOcean via Bitnami

Continuing the discussion from Easy install needed for Discourse to become the forum solution "for the next decade":

A “native” one-click app on DigitalOcean seems less likely now that they’ve teamed up with Bitnami to get wider app support “for free”. But that’s ultimately good news I guess!

One thing is confusing to me at this point though:

DigitalOcean users get two free months of Bitnami access.

Uh, I don’t really understand what “Bitnami access” constitutes. Once I’ve done the install, I don’t really need Bitnami for anything more, right? right?

I’m also glad to see that they’re on the Stable branch, which means more pressure on the Discourse devs to figure out good compatibility checks :wink:

2 Likes

Not really, we are actually working with them at the moment to make this happen with our docker install.

9 Likes

This probably still gives you a non Docker, Bitnami-ized install which… we regret that we cannot support. Sorry, we have a small team and there are literally an infinity of Linux configurations, settings, and options that all interact together.

We can only support one type of install and that is our Docker container, the same ones we use internally.

4 Likes

We @ DO are indeed working with Sam on getting a dockerized application image for discourse working on DigitalOcean. No official timeline yet but it should be the next one-click released. While we are happy to have Bitnami integrating with DO we still have a strong focus on our own images and have just expanded the Community Management team that maintains them.

8 Likes