As some of our users have pointed out, it is frustrating to only be able to change the topic tracking at the bottom of a topic. The problem scenario was outlined as follows:
- Set auto track rules to something like 4 minutes in topic.
- Browse from a touch device, such as a tablet.
- See a new long topic that piques your interest. get 10 or so posts in and realize that, while you are interested in the topic, you aren’t interested enough to devote the time in the topic now.
- You haven’t yet spent 4 minutes in the topic, so it hasn’t auto-tracked. Being on a touch device, you can’t use the keyboard shortcuts. Down to the bottom of the topic you go to set the tracking-status manually.
- Now that you’ve been at the bottom of the topic, your furthest read position is the last post. The topic does not show in the Unread list. Your position in the topic is lost.
To combat this, the idea of adding the ability to change the tracking status from the top of the topic was suggested (thank you @boomzilla). Adding the selector to the topic summary area would seem a logical place to double this control, and would resolve the above scenario fairly easily.