Add a small notice when a quote is modified

After I saw this topic, I thought it was the right time to request this feature. This is happening a lot, especially in communities where users try to find a way to start a heated discussion. Quoting a post is an effective way to do that, especially when altering the original text.

Quoting a post gives you the ability to post someone’s reply altered. Although the following example is a bit extreme, I have witnessed similar things in the past:

Once you press the show more button, it does sometimes highlights only the quoted text. However, ones has to do that in order to understand whether the quote is the same or not.

The most important thing is that if user A deletes their post, user B, who has quoted and alerted the post of user A, will be able to keep their post, without the other members know whether it was the original one or not.

Therefore, I am suggesting a small feature. If user B quotes user’s A post and alters it, a small notice would appear next to the quote indicating that it is not the original one and has been changed by user B. That could be an icon, such as the orange edit pencil or a small warning: Edited Quote

1 Like

This is already possible, view source and you will see modified quotes have a unique css class.

The correct way to handle this is through assertive moderation. Users can come up with a thousand ways to annoy each other — editing quotes is only the tip of the iceberg.

2 Likes

I see what you mean. I know that you can see the unique CSS class, however, a non-admin user won’t be able to do that. Therefore, a small notice indicating that “Hey, that’s not what I wrote up there” could end a potential argument before it even starts. But I guess moderation is the most secure way to protect the community. With the addition of guidelines and rules, if one wants to break them, they will face the consequences.

I agree. And will moderate strictly, but the idea of a nice little ‘modified’ bubble next to the quote I think would be a nice feature.

4 Likes

I think what he means is that, with that unique CSS class, you are able to do something like this:

By adding some custom CSS:

.quote.quote-modified::before {
    content: "Quote modified";
    color: red;
    border-bottom: 1px solid red;
}

I don’t like adding content with CSS but, well, it works and may address your concerns. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Thank you Sir. This is helpful.

I know, I have also tried something similar. To be honest, I prefer it to be inside the quote rather than what you show in the picture. In other words, I am trying to find something more user friendly. Something that would mark the quote as non-orginal, while it would make the user know not to do something similar in the future and would reduce or even better end the clutter.

That was an example. Just tweak the CSS to what your prefer.

Another example:

.quote.quote-modified::before {
    content: "✏️ Edited";
    font-size: 0.9rem;
    float: right;
    background-color: #ffe5e5;
    border-radius: 0.25rem;
    padding: 0.25rem;
    margin-left: 0.5rem;
}
5 Likes

I think that’s on spot on what I was thinking, thanks! :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

That is super helpful. I have noticed that if a user modifies the username when quoting, it does not add the class to the quote.