Admin versus Moderator and Groups

OK, strange question here. With the upcoming improvements to group messaging, I am wondering if there is/will be a built in system for messaging just the moderators (not all staff). To go with that, does the admin/moderator system fit the rectangle square analogy (All admins are moderators, but all moderators are not necessarily admins.) With that, if a user is an admin, but not a moderator, do they lose access to anything?

The potential use case is when your site uses moderators and admins for different purposes. In my case, all admins are employees of the company, where the moderators are volunteers. Right now, when a user spots a topic in the wrong category or duplicated, they type a random assortment of moderators into their post to ask for it to be recategorized, or merged. It would be really nice if they could type something like @moderators and notify all moderators, without bothering the admins.

2 Likes

This should be possible since there is a built in group for moderators, correct @sam?

1 Like

Sure is, all you need to do is change the value of this dropdown

4 Likes

Continuing this discussion, I am curious how this would work with flags. If I am correct, both moderators and admins are notified (by a red indicator) when there is a flag, and both have access to the flag page in the admin menu. My concern, however, is how the “Something Else” flag would be treated. Right now it appears that that action create both a flag, and sends a message to the “Moderators” group. If the admins are removed from being a moderator (right now all admin are moderators too), will they lose access to this discussion?

admins always have access to all messages and content on the site

4 Likes

So having an admin be a moderator is meaningless (other than for group purposes)? Admins can do everything a mod can do, and more?

Yes, except that admins are slightly less “visible” than moderators, you need to be a moderator to get a shield.

8 Likes