Allow marking as unread

I read Questions About The Notification System and tried pushing all the buttons I can find. But apparently there’s no way to mark a read article, or notification, as unread.

1 Like

I think you may be looking for the ‘defer’ button:

However, I think you need to turn the ability on in your Preferences->Interface page:

8 Likes

Looks good. I was able to thus change notifications back to blue as a side effect. The only one I couldn’t change back to blue was a badge notification.

First time in software that I ever encountered an unmark as read button that needed to be enabled first!

4 Likes

Admins can also enable the default other enable defer setting to “Enable defer topic functionality by default”, so this user preference is already enabled and you can opt-out instead of opting-in.

That said, this feature is so useful that it would make sense to be enabled by default on a new install IMHO.

4 Likes

You may also be interested in bookmarks — you can make these re-notify you in the future, including (if you want) a reason why.

4 Likes

Out of curiosity, what social networks or discussion software (we can include chat-oriented software, but not email clients, which all have this feature) do you know that have a default setting to mark a post as unread?

2 Likes

I am saying “that allow a user to toggle a post’s read status.”

I am saying it seems to new users that once a post has been read in Discourse, its status is set in stone.

Because no user would have dreamed that “only hacker users would need a toggle status button, so that’s why one must opt-in deep in Preferences.”

Yes, it is hard to explain.

1 Like

I think it might be more helpful if you could focus on your own experience and impressions rather than sweeping claims about worldwide end users, new users, no users, etc.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.