Assistance with Discourse setup

Hey guys!

So, I’ve created quite a few websites before using Digital Ocean and PHPBB software, and this is supposedly super easy so I feel dumb, but I’m having trouble.

I went through the steps here twice (after deleting the first, failed droplet and creating a new one): https://github.com/discourse/discourse/blob/master/docs/INSTALL-cloud.md

I install Discourse to talk.ourani.world
I made sure my nameservers were correct (godaddy has my digitalocean’s ns)
But I’m still only getting GoDaddy’s parked webpage instead of setup for the forum?

I also noticed that I have no www in my ftp, and that the files in there are a bit weird compared to others I’ve had.

Does anyone have any idea why this would be?

Thank you!

EDIT:
I do want to note that putty was not accepting this line, so I had to install docker when it prompted after detecting it didn’t exist: wget -qO- https://get.docker.com/ | sh

This sounds to me like a DNS problem, not a Discourse problem.

Your nameservers are definitely Digital Ocean:

$ host -t NS ourani.world
ourani.world name server ns2.digitalocean.com.
ourani.world name server ns3.digitalocean.com.
ourani.world name server ns1.digitalocean.com.

But when I check the DNS for talk.ourani.world I’m not seeing any A records, which would need to exists:

$ dig talk.ourani.world @ns2.digitalocean.com.

; <<>> DiG 9.11.3-1ubuntu1.5-Ubuntu <<>> talk.ourani.world @ns2.digitalocean.com.
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NXDOMAIN, id: 42567
;; flags: qr aa rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 1
;; WARNING: recursion requested but not available

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 512
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;talk.ourani.world.		IN	A

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
ourani.world.		1800	IN	SOA	ns1.digitalocean.com. hostmaster.ourani.world. 1550853987 10800 3600 604800 1800

;; Query time: 24 msec
;; SERVER: 173.245.59.41#53(173.245.59.41)
;; WHEN: Fri Feb 22 15:27:35 EST 2019
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 113

You’ll need to double check your DNS config at Digital Ocean, and reach out to their support team if you need more DNS specific help.

5 Likes

Thanks. I just added “talk” and “@” to my DNS thingy type A pointing to the droplet, so maybe that’ll do something, but then again I don’t really understand DNS stuff.

Have a big fat feeling I’m doing it wrong, so I’ll contact DO, but I thank you for your help!!

1 Like

Just checked. Looks like you’re good.

http://talk.ourani.world/

3 Likes

Just spins and then either parks or says “The resource you are looking for has been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.” for me - working for you?

Cleared browser cache/cookies and still nothin’.

I’m guessing that because you were loading the URL, your DNS cache needs flushed.

1 Like

I get this - perhaps because someone else opened it first? Thanks a ton (forgot about DNS cache) (: Noobs are annoying I know!

Edit - getting above “The resource you are looking for has been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.” on and off still

Edit again - working on mobile. Thank you so much!

1 Like

You should run ./discoure-setup again and provide an email address for let’s encrypt so you’ll have https.

2 Likes

Does this have to be another e-mail address specifically for encryption? I skipped this because I wasn’t sure what it was.

It’s an address where you will receive an email should your certificate be about to expire.

Can you tell me what words would have made you think “YES! I really want this!”?

4 Likes

I was going to look it up afterwards and see exactly what it was, then setup again to include it. I think if I’d had known it had something to do with HTTPS I would have jumped on it a bit quicker.

Anyway, I redid my droplet again because of e-mail troubles (would rather have clean slate as to not leave behind any issues) and now my website is something about… mixwav?

1 Like

If you made a new droplet and discarded the old, someone else may now be using the old IP address for their purposes on their new droplet.

4 Likes

Haha that’s weird. I changed the DNS stuff so I would think this wouldn’t happen. Also, nice forehead tat. :stuck_out_tongue:

Redid setup with the encryption e-mail - appreciate the helpfulness of this community!

5 Likes

All DNS lookups are cached, so only after the cache expires will you see any changes.

Should you want to do this again, I believe you can “redeploy” a droplet to keep the IP but start fresh.

3 Likes

Fantastic, thanks a ton!! I remember seeing that and will use it next time.

2 Likes

Another way to solve the DNS issue is to use a “floating ip”, which you can then attach to which ever droplet you want. It can then add a level of confusion because then the IP that your droplet has is not the IP that you point the DNS to.

3 Likes