Bootstrap failed error after upgrading my server

im having issues rebuilding my forum after upgrading the server on linode

FAILED
--------------------
Pups::ExecError: cd /var/www/discourse && su discourse -c 'bundle config --local deployment true' failed with return #<Process::Status: pid 505 exit 1>
Location of failure: /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/3.2.0/gems/pups-1.1.1/lib/pups/exec_command.rb:117:in `spawn'
exec failed with the params {"cd"=>"$home", "hook"=>"bundle_exec", "cmd"=>["su discourse -c 'bundle config --local deployment true'", "su discourse -c 'bundle config --local without \"development test\"'", "su discourse -c 'bundle install --retry 3 --jobs 4'"]}
bootstrap failed with exit code 1
** FAILED TO BOOTSTRAP ** please scroll up and look for earlier error messages, there may be more than one.
./discourse-doctor may help diagnose the problem.

:arrow_double_up: :eyes:

we would need more information.

3 Likes

Iā€™m seeing a similar error. Iā€™ve tried a rebuild with all but two plugins disabled (docker-manager and migrate passwords) so I donā€™t think itā€™s plugin related. I ran discourse-doctor but the only occurrence of ā€˜errorā€™ is the description of how to search for the word error.

Unfortunately I have to go out to an appointment now but Iā€™ll look for other issues when I get back.

Does this give any cluesā€¦

SKIP_POST_DEPLOYMENT_MIGRATIONS=1 bundle exec rake multisite:migrate
rake aborted!
Gem::LoadError: can't activate ffi-1.15.5, already activated ffi-1.16.2
/var/www/discourse/lib/plugin_gem.rb:25:in `load'
/var/www/discourse/lib/plugin/instance.rb:825:in `gem'
/var/www/discourse/plugins/discourse-migratepassword/plugin.rb:28:in `activate!'
/var/www/discourse/lib/plugin/instance.rb:722:in `instance_eval'
/var/www/discourse/lib/plugin/instance.rb:722:in `activate!'
/var/www/discourse/lib/discourse.rb:347:in `block in activate_plugins!'
/var/www/discourse/lib/discourse.rb:344:in `each'
/var/www/discourse/lib/discourse.rb:344:in `activate_plugins!'
/var/www/discourse/config/application.rb:227:in `block in <class:Application>'
/var/www/discourse/lib/plugin.rb:6:in `initialization_guard'
/var/www/discourse/config/application.rb:227:in `<class:Application>'
/var/www/discourse/config/application.rb:75:in `<module:Discourse>'
/var/www/discourse/config/application.rb:74:in `<top (required)>'
<internal:/usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/3.2.0/rubygems/core_ext/kernel_require.rb>:38:in `require'
<internal:/usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/3.2.0/rubygems/core_ext/kernel_require.rb>:38:in `require'
/var/www/discourse/Rakefile:7:in `<top (required)>'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/3.2.0/gems/rake-13.0.6/exe/rake:27:in `<top (required)>'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/3.2.0/bin/bundle:25:in `load'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/3.2.0/bin/bundle:25:in `<main>'
(See full trace by running task with --trace)
Docker Manager: FAILED TO UPGRADE
#<RuntimeError: RuntimeError>
/var/www/discourse/plugins/docker_manager/lib/docker_manager/upgrader.rb:209:in `run'
/var/www/discourse/plugins/docker_manager/lib/docker_manager/upgrader.rb:108:in `upgrade'
/var/www/discourse/plugins/docker_manager/scripts/docker_manager_upgrade.rb:19:in `block in <main>'
/var/www/discourse/plugins/docker_manager/scripts/docker_manager_upgrade.rb:6:in `fork'
/var/www/discourse/plugins/docker_manager/scripts/docker_manager_upgrade.rb:6:in `<main>'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/3.2.0/gems/railties-7.0.7/lib/rails/commands/runner/runner_command.rb:43:in `load'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/3.2.0/gems/railties-7.0.7/lib/rails/commands/runner/runner_command.rb:43:in `perform'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/3.2.0/gems/thor-1.2.2/lib/thor/command.rb:27:in `run'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/3.2.0/gems/thor-1.2.2/lib/thor/invocation.rb:127:in `invoke_command'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/3.2.0/gems/thor-1.2.2/lib/thor.rb:392:in `dispatch'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/3.2.0/gems/railties-7.0.7/lib/rails/command/base.rb:87:in `perform'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/3.2.0/gems/railties-7.0.7/lib/rails/command.rb:48:in `invoke'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/3.2.0/gems/railties-7.0.7/lib/rails/commands.rb:18:in `<main>'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/3.2.0/gems/bootsnap-1.16.0/lib/bootsnap/load_path_cache/core_ext/kernel_require.rb:32:in `require'
bin/rails:18:in `<main>'
Spinning up 7 Unicorn worker(s) that were stopped initially

Chris with all respect, can we not complicate one support request with logs from another installation? :sweat_smile:

Because that text appears pretty much under every single rebuild that has failed due to an error during the process, regardless of the root cause.

3 Likes

OK, I wasnā€™t aware that the same error appeared for multiple causes. I just knew the errors looked very similar, if not identical when viewed on my phone and as they occurred from what appeared to be the same set of patches I assumed they might be related. Iā€™ll start a new thread with my problems in it.

2 Likes

It may be related, but we wonā€™t know until the OP has provided more detail.

1 Like

Actually the helpful nature of Discourse isnā€™t helpful here. When I started to report the problem I got the ā€œYour post looks similat to this oneā€ which encourages you not to create a new post.

2 Likes

Migrate password is broken. Itā€™ll be fixed soon. Rebuild without it or restart your old container.

There is another topic about it but I canā€™t find it.

Oh, I see now, it was your topic Failed to Bootstrap after upgrade - #4 by RGJ

Hereā€™s what to do @shim

2 Likes

Thank you I have the same issue on 2 forums and that happened after the patch update however the fix was suggested ā€¦ I have no idea how to go about it. it would be helpful if they pushed the new PR so that we can update it via the console.

1 Like

Hereā€™s what he said in the other topic.

Thatā€™s pretty good service if you ask me.

5 Likes

The new version of discourse-migratepassword is available now.

5 Likes

My Issue is unrelated to the plugin

es:postgres:ssl-cert -U postgres:postgres:ssl-cert /usr/lib/postgresql/13/bin/postmaster -D /etc/postgresql/13/main pid: 42
2023-09-27 16:50:33.227 UTC [42] LOG:  received fast shutdown request
I, [2023-09-27T16:50:33.227763 #1]  INFO -- : Sending TERM to exec chpst -u redis -U redis /usr/bin/redis-server /etc/redis/redis.conf pid: 111
111:signal-handler (1695833433) Received SIGTERM scheduling shutdown...
2023-09-27 16:50:33.252 UTC [42] LOG:  aborting any active transactions
2023-09-27 16:50:33.262 UTC [42] LOG:  background worker "logical replication launcher" (PID 51) exited with exit code 1
2023-09-27 16:50:33.265 UTC [46] LOG:  shutting down
2023-09-27 16:50:33.282 UTC [42] LOG:  database system is shut down
111:M 27 Sep 2023 16:50:33.282 # User requested shutdown...
111:M 27 Sep 2023 16:50:33.283 * Saving the final RDB snapshot before exiting.
111:M 27 Sep 2023 16:50:33.295 * DB saved on disk
111:M 27 Sep 2023 16:50:33.296 # Redis is now ready to exit, bye bye...

FAILED
--------------------
Pups::ExecError: cd /var/www/discourse && su discourse -c 'bundle config --local deployment true' failed with return #<Process::Status: pid 539 exit 1>
Location of failure: /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/3.2.0/gems/pups-1.1.1/lib/pups/exec_command.rb:117:in `spawn'
exec failed with the params {"cd"=>"$home", "hook"=>"bundle_exec", "cmd"=>["su discourse -c 'bundle config --local deployment true'", "su discourse -c 'bundle config --local without \"development test\"'", "su discourse -c 'bundle install --retry 3 --jobs 4'"]}
bootstrap failed with exit code 1
** FAILED TO BOOTSTRAP ** please scroll up and look for earlier error messages, there may be more than one.
./discourse-doctor may help diagnose the problem.
92863be4bda311c642a83b1afd97e58a64e9044ea2dc0e23f245fafb086851f7

it appears that everything builds fine but on the last exit part it fails

John, you need to get that scroll wheel working for you a bit more :wink:

You need to look for something awry above what you shared :slight_smile:

Nothing there tells us anything, except that something is up :male_detective:

6 Likes