Can T4 members access personally identifiable information?

Can T4 members access personally identifiable information like other customers’ email address?
Is this updated?

How can I restrict them from editing other customers’ posts?

I don’t want this to happen, “Flagging a post immediately takes effect and hides the target post” because they currently flag posts for escalating issues too.

I don’t want them to send personal messages to an email address, or close topics.

In general, the table mentions the related settings. For example, if you don’t want them to be able to edit all posts, you can remove them from the edit all post groups site setting.

But I don’t think it’s possible to prevent them from for example closing topics. Since you manually promote those users, can’t you trust them enough so they won’t do something if you tell them not to do it?
What is the reason why you want them to be trust level 4?

6 Likes

In addition, if you remove all these features, then… there’s almost no perks of being TL4…
That said, TL4s aren’t able to access user’s PII, as that is only visible for Mods and Admins.

3 Likes

Unless something has changed generally only an Admin & maybe full site mod(if a setting is changed) can view a member’s email address.

However unless changed there was a bit of loophole for full site moderators viewing Log file. Iirc this was typically more exposed(email address) during a user deletion/anonymized user. The log contained the email address.

TL4 cannot view user account details typically unless there is a setting to expose that.

I as admin have had to figure out a clever method of unanomize a user or 2 when a Mod took an unsanctioned action against a member on a site I volunteer admin on. Not perfect to restore but is in part doable.

2 Likes

Thank you for your responses.

I’ll ask them not to use certain features. Seems like a better way to go.

2 Likes

One more question, can T4 members block (ban) spammers and delete the spam posts? Or can they only temporarily mute?

TL4 is an elevated account that can edit/delete posts

Category Moderators can manage flags; however unless something has changed. The Cat Mod can only “agree”, “Disagree” or “ignore/defer” a flag.

Full site Moderator/Admin is required to ban/delete/anonymize user accounts.

A general good thing to do is to have your TL4 and/or Cat Mods either reflag post as Other and @mention a full mod for assistance. That or message a full mod with a link to the post/user.

3 Likes

These 2 links will help from Documentation category.

First link Managing a Discourse site Index

2nd Link User Roles & permissions from the above.

The Documentation Category is a special Category access it from the sidebar many new improvements makes it a lot more user friendly to find info about Discourse.

2 Likes