Changing Trust Level Names and Permissions

I am curious about changing the names of trust levels, and their permissions. I have looked around for some information on these features but all of them have either been a bit unclear, outdated (by a few years), or say that the feature was in progress.

Thank you.

1 Like

You can safely change the names for each trust level, as well as the requirements to move between them, but not the permissions granted.

1 Like

Gotcha.

And that should be available through the pannel, yes?

Yep.

To change names, go to /admin/customize/site_texts, to change requirements check the trust level category in site settings.

2 Likes

Awesome, thank you the help.

While you’re here, is it possible to add more trust levels?

No, it’s not possible to add more trust levels.

3 Likes

You can create more groups, which are sort of like custom trust levels. They just aren’t automatic.

1 Like

And can you add specific permissions to groups?

The answer to the question you think you’re answering is yes, but actually, you add the permissions to the categories, not the groups.

1 Like

I see.

Thank you all for your help. :slight_smile:

1 Like

If we change the tl3 time period to be longer, will that new time period start as soon as I save the change or will it retroactively include older data?

Thanks!

I am pretty sure the change is retroactive but it will take a bit for the batch jobs to run. I would expect it would be fully in effect historically within 24 hours.

1 Like

Great, thanks. Trying to figure out if we can re-purpose tl3 for our power program.

1 Like

Also, keep in mind you have the option of using groups for some of this stuff. Groups can be given a minimal trust level if you wish.

We actually want these users to have more rights/access. And for this to be an automated identification and process in Discourse rather than us having to manually add them to groups. We’re basically looking at it as a badge for honor students.

2 Likes

Hi @jomaxro - when I go to my admin, I dont have the Site_Texts option, could you help please!

Take a screenshot of what you see when you go to /admin/customize

1 Like

hey @dax sorry for the delay - didnt get a notification :stuck_out_tongue:

I’v been speaking to @jonobacon and he mentioned that I needed to search for the term “Basic” and replace them with another term - is that right?

If you need to change the “basic” users (aka users at trust level 1), then yes.
Note that you will see all the strings where we use the word “basic”, beyond those specific to the “basic user”. I guess you’ll want to change some of the Basic badge strings as well, since they are related to the basic user.

4 Likes

Hey everyone,
Seemed like a good thread to ask my question - let me know if that’s not the case.

I wish to change several things regarding the trust levels:

1. The names of the different trust levels - I’m pretty sure it’s in the customize/site_texts but when I search the label to change, I can’t seem to find it.
  2. The details/authorization within each trust levels ex: I wish to remove the possibility to invite new member to members with trust level 2.
  3. Create new trust levels

Thanks for your help :slight_smile: