Comment Reply Threading / Linking on the WordPress Side

Hi, one major issue I’m having with the WP-Discourse plugin is that comment replies are unclear. When there is a comment reply in Discourse, the WordPress side does not show what it’s a reply to. It’s just a pure flat conversation.

It would be nice to either utilize WordPress’ threading capabilities (unlikely given Discourse’s stance), or at least state “This is a reply to comment #2” or something like that.

Is that possible?

Thanks!

Embedding Discourse Comments via Javascript
(maiki) #2

It has been discussed before, so you might search for those conversations; I’d point you to a thread, but it is always mentioned in passing. Get yer search on! :slight_smile:

I couldn’t find it. Was using keywords such as threaded and reply but that’s obviously not helpful. Will try Google.

(Simon Cossar) #4

I’ll see if there is something that can be done with that.

(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #5

Our standard embed script works this way. See Jeff’s blog for example:

https://blog.codinghorror.com/hacker-hack-thyself/

I like that - this could be acceptable. What’s “our standard embed script” though? What you have in WP-Discourse isn’t doing this for me (also tried in default theme, still nothing).

(Joshua Rosenfeld) #7

I believe he’s referring to Embedding Discourse Comments via Javascript.

Hi, I’m revisiting this issue. The JS embed isn’t working well enough for my liking, so I’m looking at going back to the comment sync.

Doing some tests, many of our conversations look plain awful without knowing who’s replying to whom. Is there a possibility of getting a bit more clarity with the replies?

Unfortunately, when you are doing the wp_remote_get inside of lib/discourse-comment.php, using the best=____ parameter strips out the reply information from your JSON!

Not sure if that’s on purpose or is a bug, but that’s a roadblock on its own.

Edit: Yet, if you remove the best parameter, it doesn’t work with /wordpress.json anymore. I can see the problems baked in here for wanting this ‘simple’ change.

Thanks!