Configure Twitter login and rich embeds for Discourse

ours broke last week so i have been using @Lhc_fl’s Twitter Native Embed for the time being and it’s been a good interim fix.

Started working for us yesterday for some reason.

could be because hosted sites and Meta were fixed recently

1 Like

Now it stopped working again last few days :smile:

Just coming here to add myself to the voice of “twitter onebox sometimes not working, sometimes yes”

If there is any kind of info we can submit, let us know please (console log, server logs, etc)

There were many fixes in the past week

Anyone know the status of Twitter embeds not working?

I assume it’s a Twitter issue and not Discourse…

I did find this post today for a theme component, and it did restore the functionality of Twitter embeds. It would be nice for it to work without an extra add on though.

I couldn’t achieve having rich embeds working. If I remove Twitter credentials from my configuration, it will fallback to a standard onebox (without media).

2 Likes

Twitter embeds are no longer working?

Also trying to fix Twitter embeds… Any tips?

Likely:

X/Twitter embeds worked for a long time, but broke today around noon (EET) on our CDCK SaaS instance.

Another API change?

I don’t think so, @pmusaraj had a look the other day and we were itching our monthly limit. X set a high bar here… you either pay 20 dollars a month for the API or 5000 dollars with no in between.

We will investigate…

3 Likes

Many or most tweets are just links to a web page with a short summary or intro to the actual content. I wonder if it would be possible to reduce API calls on the system level by encouraging or enforcing linking to the original source, instead of the tweet :thinking:

I don’t understand anything about nothing but generally speaking that sounds like a solid plan. And because I have slight idea how your users act and thinks, I would say you should defenetly choose that road (even they don’t like that in the beginning…)

Apparently boxing works again. What changed?

Proof:

I’m guessing the monthly quota just rolled over.

1 Like

Could be. I wasn’t observing this daily, but I’d guess it did not happen on the 1st of Dec.

Anyway, more broadly speaking - I would love to steer our users away from using X, but the damn platform is embraced by the sports business.

Quick update on what happened:

• We ate through our entire twitter API budget in November
  • Next tier (so we get more API calls) moves us from 100 dollars a month to 5000 dollars a month, which is ridiculous, especially since we are giving Twitter money to promote Twitter.
  • Given we want our customers to have more consistency we now restricted it so only business customers and up get to use our API
9 Likes

oh … another update… X changed recently and allow now for a 100 → 200 dollar jump! (you can buy 100 dollar bundles) so there has been some progress here.

1 Like