Disable stripping emails

I have an automated report that gets sent to a discourse category but I noticed discourse is stripping half of it either maybe because it’s HTML or thinking it’s a signature.

I don’t see any option to disable striping signature/text out of incoming emails.

To identify which, can you take the source of the email and paste it into a Discourse Topic manually on your installation?

That will tell you if it is HTML being stripped out or if it is something to do with signature detection (specific to email).

at least I think this will work as a valid test

1 Like

Hmm…

“We don’t strip out user signatures since there’s no standard.” - @zogstrip

2 Likes

Oh yeah, so that probably means it is the HTML then.

when I paste the email into a new topic, nothing is getting stripped out.

And you are pasting the HTML and text right, you aren’t just copying the text from your email client and pasting it? As that would be entirely different.

I’m opening the raw email and copying the entire body content which includes HTML

Anyone able to help with this?

Without specifics of the content in question, it will be hard to diagnose.

Ok,

So I did a little more digging, the email reports are emails from our CruiseControl.NET application which return a report of a “build” failure or success after a new build was created.

I noticed a couple things with the email,

If I manually remove the 2nd and get rid of the encoding. The output is pretty close to what the email actually looks like.

2 Likes

Any way to bypass those quirks and Discourse creates the message?

For starters, can you PM @zogstrip the full source of the problem email.

2 Likes

…but actually there is. Kind of: RFC 3676 - The Text/Plain Format and DelSp Parameters

I use "-- " since like forever. Had set up incoming email in Discourse, just did a test and was now wondering why my signature is not stripped. The above quote seems to explain why this quasi standard is ignored. (sorry, I didn’t find the source of the quote)

1 Like

@Jared_Needell curious, what ended up happening here?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.