Hi, this is – sort of – a follow-up to this discussion:
In our Discourse forum (v2.6.5), we encourage posting by email. Unfortunately, we’ve had multiple cases where the incoming email was cut off in the middle, or outright rejected with
Email::Receiver::NoBodyDetectedError. There are multiple underlying issues. For example:
- Seemingly harmless ways to separate the contents of the post cause the forum to discard the remainder
- the signature detector seems to operate on the ASCII version of the email. We’ve seen the case where the HTML email starts with an empty
<b/>statement. The emailer converted it to
**in the ASCII version of the email, and which was then “detected” as the beginning of the signature.
Ways to improve the situation:
- don’t cut off the signature before adding the topic to the forum: keep the full post including signature editable. Then a wrongly removed portion could be brought back by editing the post.
- make the signature detection smarter (how? I don’t know…)
- let the signature detector use the HTML version
- make the signature separators configurable
- allow turning off entirely the removal of signatures in the forum settings
Thank you for considering. It will help us a lot.