Discourse Custom Topic Lists

:discourse2: Summary Allows you to create custom topic lists that can be accessed via a URL
:hammer_and_wrench: Repository Link GitHub - discourse/discourse-custom-topic-lists: custom topic lists
:open_book: Install Guide How to install plugins in Discourse

Features

This plugin adds a new dropdown; when clicked, it leads you to a custom topic list based on a filter defined in the configuration.

The new dropdown:

The sidebar links, you can decide if the list should appear on the side or not:

When you click to go to the custom list page, you are met with a page similar to a topic list:

The name, banner label, icon and path can be defined in the configuration

Configuration

Make sure to have experimental topics filter enabled

This is the config I’ve used in the example:

14 Likes

This is very useful. Awesome thank you!

Looks great! I was wondering, how is different from categories? Why not use a category instead?

1 Like

Is this kind of frontend for experimental filter?

3 Likes

Hello, Can i custom multi select groups tag as this topic Multi menu select Group tags

3 Likes

Thanks for the feedback guys!

It uses this experimental feature called /filter, you can see the DSL query in this meta post

This is different from categories because you can create a custom list with 2 categories, e.g., category:bug,feature or, in my case, category:arts-media,feature would bring all topics that include both categories.

I have tested, and from what I could see, tag groups are not supported in the /filter feature.

6 Likes

Will tag groups be added a n future? As it seems to be an under utilized feature concept.

4 Likes

I worked on that: FEATURE: Add tag_group option in `/filter` by Grubba27 · Pull Request #27427 · discourse/discourse · GitHub.

I’ll keep you guys and the changelog updated.

4 Likes

The PR was merged into the core!

2 Likes

This would be epic! Currently we are using the docs plugin to create a some sort of product database. But having a view of tag-group-based dropdowns would help us immensely

2 Likes

@grubba is it possible for end users to create their own custom lists?

3 Likes

Currently, no.

I do not have yet done a per user customization like that, when I get that know-how and have time I will add it.

It is open source, if you would like, you can start a pr and we can go iterating

6 Likes

:heavy_plus_sign: :one: for this idea.

I think you’re onto something, @grubba. You’ve actually managed to get really close to a working concept for this idea that @nathank also helped spark.

If users can custom define their own lists, and leverage the nav sidebar ( :raised_hands:), we’re incrediby close to people defining their own feed based on interests.

3 Likes

That would be an excellent feature for the end user.

3 Likes