Topic Author

There seems to be an unexpected bug when used with Who's Online plugin.
That is, if the last post’s author of a topic is online, it’s showing as if the topic’s author itself is online on the /latest and Categories & Latest Topic pages.

1 Like

Hi @dax
Thank you so much for your awesome theme component.

I wish there was a chance to translate the “Author” term!

3 Likes

Following up on this as well. Is there any way to translate it?

1 Like

Now yes, it is possible to translate. Update the component to the latest version.

2 Likes

BTW I reduced the width from 70px to 50px. It looked better this way. How about removing that css from the html tag itself and rather create a css class? That way it’s easier to override the CSS in an update-safe manner. I had to change the theme component’s code to adjust width. I will have to reapply those changes manually after updating it.

Alternatively add it as a setting for the theme component backend. :wink:

keep up the good work, the component is great!

PS: Would love to have a similar component but for a “Latest Post” column like in Sam’s Minimal Theme or MD Topic List. This wish comes my community directly.

1 Like

There was a reason for the width to be hardcoded, but now I can’t remember :thinking:.

In case I will make the change when I have some time :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

I have the same doubt as @thegurjyot, I’d prefer to have a separate author column and another one for all other posters, is there a simple change I can make to achieve this?

1 Like

Just make a comment in the code next time when you do something specific :stuck_out_tongue:

#Dev Notes: I did this cause the interwebs told me I should

1 Like

I am still looking forward for a mobile only option in this theme component. Maybe you’ll implement in future update.

4 Likes

Tried something pure css from this topic but seems that would not work now:

Maybe not something your want but you can just comment out everything on Desktop section. (CSS and )

I create a pull request to fix behavior on mobile view
https://github.com/discourse/discourse-topic-author/pull/3

1. Fix invalid profile url
  2. Should show user-card on first click rather than go to profile directly
2 Likes

Hey @dax

is there any way to disable the theme component in a specific category or view?

I am testing the Topic List Preview and it prevents TLP from displaying thumbnails when both components are activated at same time. The issue appears for TLP plugin and theme component as well.

It is not recommended to use this component in conjunction with other plugins/themes that heavily modify templates.

2 Likes

Hi! I think this is a great component.

Just one quick question: Does it show the avatar flair image? I have installed this theme component in my local discourse installation. While I can see the flair when entering the topics, it does not show in the list of topics (where the theme component changes the layout).

Thanks!

I reply to myself: It is not implemented in the component. I forked and played a bit with the code but I’m not sure whether I can retrieve the primary group (and the flair parameters) from the topic creator. Any hint on that @dax ? Thanks again!

1 Like

When using this together with the “Topic List Previews” plugin, the “Author” column shows the topic title and “Topic” shows the users, even in categories where no Topic List Preview features are enabled.

1 Like

Is there any way to disable the theme component completely in messages list?

Hi @dax, I noticed that this theme component stopped working in one of the recent Discourse updates.

Forget about that, I removed and re-installed and it works again. Thanks! :pray:

1 Like

@dax Heya, is this still maintained? If yes, could we also get an option to show the name instead of the picture and move the column to the right of the topic name? Blizzard has this (WoW Classic General Discussion - World of Warcraft Forums) and it looks pretty great.

3 Likes

I was using this component for some time in combination with topic previews plugin.

Now topic previews has been deprecated.
There is a new discourse component called topic thumbnails that does the job of showing thumbnails from the first image.

The problem is that it is not compatible with yours, if I activate yours, I get no thumbnail in any category.

It would be great to be able to combine both.

The ideal for me would be to show thumbnails if the post has a thumbnail but show the avatar when there is none.
But don’t know it that is possible for you.

Adding the option to select the categories and tags where the author topic is applied would be great too, similar to what topic thumbnails does.
So you could activate both in different categories without overlapping or conflicts between them.

For now I had to disable this component in order to be able to have thumnails.

Thank you for the work.

3 Likes