Discourse Topic Cards

:information_source: Summary Restyle the topic list to display as cards with a thumbnail
:eyeglasses: Preview Theme Creator
:hammer_and_wrench: Repository Discourse Topic Cards
:question: Install Guide How to install a theme or theme component
:open_book: New to Discourse Themes? Beginner’s guide to using Discourse Themes

Install this theme component

This component takes inspiration from Topic Thumbnails, simplifies the use, adds excerpts & full-card clicking, and sprinkles some extra CSS magic.

Notable features

• Make full card clickable (exception for the original poster avatar)
  • Show the excerpt
  • Show a topic thumbnail, if available
  • Show published date
  • Trim away some metadata and make likes more prominent

Desktop

Mobile

I haven’t widely tested the component yet so if you find bugs :beetle:, please report (with browser/device specifications :pray: )

22 Likes

The vertical blue line covers parts of the text

(Seems not to depend on browser/device, I tried Edge/Windows, Chrome/Android and firefox/Android)

6 Likes

worked out of the box in chrome on windows and chrome at iphone 8

3 Likes

Right, forgot this. Will fix – thanks

4 Likes

how do I get rid of the “replies” and the “activity” tabs under the “+New Topic” button?
its making my topic exert really short and it looks bad haha

1 Like

Hi @jayme, it look like those tabs are not part of this component and are likely put there by another theme component or plugin. When I load a test forum with this component, those tabs don’t exist, nor do they show in the screenshots in the OP. You may have to disable other components to find which one, then if there is no setting for those tabs you may have to disable it.

5 Likes

Border/box-shadow doesn’t work well with cards, so had to improvise a bit to get a replacement indication

3 Likes

Somehow I don’t see any indicator now :thinking:
Theme_Creator_default
Theme_Creator_cards

2 Likes

Are you using the j/k commands to navigate?

No, I just used Tab. Well I actually used my tablet. After I used the back button, the post is usually highlighted. That didn’t happen here. I only tried this on the computer for the recording.

1 Like

4 posts were split to a new topic: Topic cards for specific categories

awesome theme component!

2 Likes

I tried to install this component on many themes, but it looks a little crooked everywhere. What am I doing wrong?

3 Likes

Hmmm… difficult to say. It looks like somehow the height of the cards is constrained, and the content bigger than usual.

Can you first verify it’s not due to a conflict with other components or theme? I see you also have the right sidebar enabled and that could affect some size calculations maybe.

So please check that and let me know?

4 Likes

I disabled all other components, but the problem did not solve.

2 Likes

Odd! :confused: Can I have a look at the forum youve installed it on?

2 Likes

But you need to change the theme to dracula in your profile settings.

3 Likes

Thanks, Ill have a look!

1 Like

It seems to me that the problem can be solved by limiting the number of characters in the preview, but I don’t know how to do this

2 Likes

Okay so, the topic-cards need a max-height, otherwise you get issues like:

I can’t say why yours is not fitting well, because in the example on theme creator I can also uses multi-line titles and still fits:

It might have something to do with the font-size, font-family, or line-height. Unfortunately that will require some individual tweaking, and not something I can apply a fix-for-all for.

A possible solution is, as you said, limiting the title to only take 1 line, which you could do by adding this css:

.topic-card {
  .link-top-line {
      max-width: 100%;
      overflow: hidden;

.title {
        display: block;
        white-space: no-wrap;
      }
   }
}
4 Likes