Entrance location of read closed topic

It might make sense to go into a closed read topic (ones without a close comment maybe?) at the last written post instead of at the close notification.

It’s a little annoying having it load with only the close notification at the very top of the screen and having to scroll up to see the content again.

3 Likes

I am not following what you mean here. Do you mean “closed”? Screenshot?

2 Likes

Yeah I meant closed - lemme fix the OP.

I’m not really following. Unless you had a previous read position, you’d enter at the top.

2 Likes

I’m saying that I think that even after someone reads a whole topic - if they go back to it, it might be a bit better to go in at

vs. the above

Just so there’s some content on entry vs. just a closed message.

3 Likes

Ooh yeah another reason is that in the former case you need to scroll up to even access the topic scrollbar while in the latter it’s already just there.

I agree. It makes no sense to focus on the ‘Closed’ entry ever. Just default to visiting the last post before the closure.

This is especially evident when you do, for example, a pinned site announcement. The second time someone visits it they will move to see the Closed message. This is pointless. They surely will have wanted to revisit the main message.

1 Like

I agree there is merit to this request, but I worry about adding complex logic to our “where should we scroll to” routines.

3 Likes

Maybe have a setting that auto hides the lock/pin announcements? Been hiding them manually in the case @merefield described earlier with pinned/closed announcements.

Another thing that might help is moving the location of the topic timeline at the end of topics e.g.