Formal german available?

Hi, we are going to use Discourse as a Social Intranet in our department and would like to use the formal german version, too. The plugin wasn’t updatet for several months, and the Transifex page reads “57% complete” - so is this plugin still best practice and maintained and updated to new versions of Discourse or should we start to translate on our own?

2 Likes

I just tested the plugin and choosing Deutsch (Sie) as my preferred language, and it looks pretty good to me. Most of the interface is translated into formal german and It appears to fall back to the informal german instead of to english when translations are missing. But not everything is translated into informal german either yet… though we are making good progress. My suggestion would be to go ahead and try the formal german, and contribute to the translation on Transifex.

Formal german example:

fallback to informal german example:

1 Like

I didn’t update the plugin because nobody was maintaining the formal translations anymore. I granted your request on Transifex as the translations for formal German are still on Transifex. Please mention me here in this topic if you made progress with the translations. I’ll update the plugin when that happens.

3 Likes

Excellent, I’ll give it a try.

2 Likes

We would like to use the fomal language version too.

As far as I can see today on transifex there is not much progress on the necessary translations for fomal German and I am not sure if the plgin is up to date ?

I will send you a request on transifex to get access and wil do the missing translations very soon.

3 Likes

Thanks for providing access in transifex. I already started the translations.

Just to be on the safe side:

• German (de) is the source language. Is assured that this source reflects the current status of the discoure development or does it need any updates ?

On transifex there is a message “This organization is currently inactive. An administrator has paused the subscription” .

What does that really mean für translations and the chance to use this formal German language later on in discourse?

3 Likes

Yes, and it still seems to be updated regularly. Last update of the German source files was 5 days ago.

It should work fine for now, but I really should move this stuff over to Crowdin someday. Anyway, please mention me here when you made progress with the translation so that I can update the plugin with the new translations.

3 Likes

Thanks for the information - I will work on the transaltion every day - there is much left to do :slight_smile: - maybe I find some other victims here on my side to help. I will keep you posted about progress

I currently work to complete the server part - I do not really lnow for what the client part is ?

3 Likes

Both parts are important as all those translations are visible to the user.

2 Likes

I finished translation (both parts - server and client - 100 %) today.

@gerhard Can you please update the language in the plugin, so that I can set up a trial site to make some final quality checks in a running instance of discourse with the formal German language?

Is there anything special to consider when I want to use the new language from scratch - i.e. already during the initial setup?

Thanks for the support and possible hints how to proceed.

3 Likes

Thanks for the translations. The plugin has been updated.

You should be able to select the language in the wizard. For an existing site, you can do a manual update of system generated content. See Update seeded categories and topics.

3 Likes

Thanks for updating the plugin. I can now select Deutsch(Sie) in my profile settings. When I try to change the standard locale for the whole site from Deutsch to Deutsch(Sie), it every time switches from alone back to Deutsch. And the “Text ersetzen” button does nothing - it does not update e…g. Nutzungsbedingungen etc.

I am sure that I do something wrong somewhere in the setup process - maybe it is setting DISCOURSE_DEFAULT_LOCALE : de in app.yml?

2 Likes

Yes, that’s probably it.

2 Likes

I changed everything to default (en) in app.yml and did ./laucher rebuild app . After that the default language is English (US) and it behaves like before any changes to default locale are reverted from alone - that means the ui takes the change and when I accept the change (eg. to Deutsch) and go then into another tab in administration and then come back it is Englisch(US) again.

Does that mean that any changes to the default locale must always go via change in app.yml and the rebuild app ?

After I changed the default locale via app.yml to English(US) I could use the replace text button to change all text eg. TOS etc. from former German into English (because this is the default locale). That worked. But when I then try to change all text e.g. from now English new to German - that does not work.

Does that mean that Replace text only works towards the default locale of the discourse instance?

1 Like

@gerhard
To get started with my tests I set DISCOURSE_DEFAULT_LOCALE : de_formal and did ./launcher rebuild app. Then I replaced all text using the correspondig button.

On my test instance a login is required. When I log out I get the massage:

Ein Konto ist erforderlich. Bitte frage ein existierendes Mitglied nach einer Einladung oder melde dich an, um fortzufahren.

The corresponding text in administration is " login_required.welcome_message_invite_only". I double checked in transifex that there is no untranslated string with this text. but discourse (running with Deutsch(Sie)) is still showing the informal text.

Is it possible that the source language file in transifex is missing some text?

1 Like

@gerhard
I found the solution meanwhile. The reason was the setting “set locale from accept language header”. I had this active and that resulted in the infomal text as the language header from my browser does not say “de_formal”

2 Likes

@gerhard
Is there any way to update the translations from transifex to discoure myself or do I need to ask you every time for updating the plugin ?

I am currently missing one key from discourse which is not available for translation on transifex :

discourse_narrative_bot.new_user_narrative.hello.title

Do you have any idea, where I can find this or why it is not available on transifex?

2 Likes

Yeah, that string is missing as it’s in a plugin and I don’t have the time right now to fix that. It will probably have to wait until I find some time to bring this over to Crowdin and implement a proper automated solution.

I’ll try to make the updates from Transifex every week. That’s the best I can do for now. I’m sorry. I’ll try to work on a better solution in the upcoming months.

3 Likes

@gerhard
Can you please update the translations? Thanks in advance.

It would be good to find a solution that I can do it on my own. Any directions therefore ?

2 Likes

Done. You could create pull requests with updates for GitHub - gschlager/discourse-german-formal-locale: This plugin adds a formal version of German as a new locale to Discourse. by installing GitHub - transifex/cli: The Transifex command-line client and running bin/pull_translations.rb

1 Like