Freshly-installed site is showing the error: "Ember CLI is Required in Development Mode"

I am using ruby on rails application and nginx and passenger

ruby - 3.2.2 and rails 7

but when i trying to running on development mode from nginx config file

It’s showing:

To run Ember CLI in development mode, please do the following:

$ bin/ember-cli

Then visit the following URL to use Discourse:

http://localhost:4200

To disable this warning and allow direct Rails access, start the server with ALLOW_EMBER_CLI_PROXY_BYPASS=1

It’s unclear what problem or question you actually have here.

I cloned and setup discourse application in server ubuntu 20.04, all the required installation is done,

Iam using nginx and passenger webserver when iam trying to access application using with IP
http://20.76.69.70/
iam getting following message

Ember CLI is Required in Development Mode

To run Ember CLI in development mode, please do the following:

$ bin/ember-cli

Then visit the following URL to use Discourse:

http://localhost:4200

To disable this warning and allow direct Rails access, start the server with ALLOW_EMBER_CLI_PROXY_BYPASS=1

@supermathie Michael Brown

I dont why this error message comming on my browser

Did you follow the install guide, or did you do it yourself?

I believe you followed the development instructions, only suitable for development work.

Yes I followed install guide Michael

Passenger is not part of a standard installation, so I should ask:

What changes did you make from a standard install?

Can you post your sanitized app.yml file for your container?

1 Like

Hi Michaiel

I followed below repository, and i didnt use the docker to install

so there is no contaner folder and app.yml file

Then you did not follow the install guide.

As I said above, it looks like you followed the instructions for development.

This will not work for production.

2 Likes

I can’t install normally except with docker only right ?

Only the docker installation method, as per the install guide I linked, is supported.

3 Likes

Ok Michael, then i will follow the docker installation guide and let you know thanks

HI Michael

i followed your instructions and standard inslation process

and ./launcher rebuild app

and after the log process of insllation i got bellow error

docker: Error response from daemon: driver failed programming external connectivity on endpoint app (590666be2f3a7bd9ccef78e2e8521bc8d01df94536cee243b2e7ffa88f8909a9): Error starting userland proxy: listen tcp4 0.0.0.0:80: bind: address already in use.

This is happening because you already have something running on port 80. Maybe your previous nginx installation. You should start from a fresh, new server, just like the installation guide tells you to do.

Richard how you are suggested like this, for simple nginx process, we need to create new server new process, how its possible instead of fix that error ?

Stop and disable any processes that occupy port 80 and 443.

See Search results for '"bind: address already in use"' - Discourse Meta

1 Like

Hello ratnamraj raj,

As long as you follow a standard install, setting up a fresh server and re-install Discourse is often the best way to make things work instead of trying to fix broken or misconfigured configurations.

If your port 80 is already used, it means that there’s software using it. Either the server you set up is pre-configured with a web server or similar software or you previously installed things on your server prior to installing Discourse.

What is your server’s provider? What version of Linux are you using?

Did you install Discourse following the official guide straight after creating the server?

Maybe you want to do something like Set up Discourse on a server with existing Apache sites? There is a similar topic for nginx but I can’t find it.

Have a look at Run other websites on the same machine as Discourse

1 Like