Globally Pinned Topic not appearing at top of Latest

Hi! I created a topic in my forum and pinned it globally but it’s not appearing at the top of the “Latest” list. Do you have any suggestions on how to fix this?

Thanks,
Andrew

When I go to your forum, I’m seeing the topic that you have linked to displayed as a banner topic. It is being displayed at the top of the Latest list and all other topic lists and topics on your forum.

Users can dismiss banner topics by clicking the ‘Dismiss this banner’ link that’s at the top right of the banner. Once this link has been clicked, the banner will not be displayed again for the user. If you have clicked the dismiss link, you won’t be seeing the banner on your site.

2 Likes

Hi Simon, thanks for checking on it.

I ended up making the topic a banner to get it show up above everything else, but I was hoping to also have it globally pinned (e.g.: in the Latest panel on the right where the “Welcome to the Neuronline Community” is)

1 Like

Tried viewing with my own account, a guest account, and without logging in; still can’t see the topic pinned on top of Latest

I see the topic pinned when I go to its category page: Roommate Matching - SfN Neuronline Community. Have you selected ‘Suppress category from latest topics’ for the Roommate Matching category? That would prevent a globally pinned topic from being displayed on your homepage.

3 Likes

Ah yes, that’s what it was! I unchecked that and now it shows up on the homepage.

Thanks Simon!

Does this option still exist? I am experiencing the same issue but I cannot find ‘Supress ctegory from latest topics’

The Suppress Category option was phased out and replaced with the ability to ‘default Mute’ a category instead. You can find it in admin settings/user preferences, or search for ‘default categories muted’ (and there’s also a ‘default tags muted’ one as well).

Is the pinned category appearing if you’re not logged in? If it’s only hidden for you, you could check the notification level at the bottom of the topic, and make sure you’ve not muted it for yourself?

The other thing that could effect this on a user-by-user basis is the ‘automatically unpin topics’ setting, which will unpin a topic when a user has reached the bottom.

Do any of these sound like they could be the issue?

1 Like

I found the answer! You cannot pin an “About this category” post globally. Found the answer here "About this category" topics cannot be pinned globally - #7 by pfaffman

4 Likes