Guest Gate (Sign Up Popup Plugin)

Hi there,

I have a question about this plugin ! I have a french comunity and i would like to find where i can translate the message on the pop-up because Discourse translate it auto mod, and the translate is not good.

And i activate the “custom-gate”, a HUDGE pop-up apear with no css…

Thx a lot guys !

Is it possible to add a posibility to change the random for the gate re appearing?

Either remove it or change the random range entirely, because if you have a first appearing of 3 (for example) the random has high chance of hitting 1 and 2, which can be obnoxious to some users and generate the opposite goal.

3 Likes

Is there a way to use this plugin to show to a specific Discourse group that is already signed up? I have members and non-members on my site.

@michaeld

Hey!

Suggestion for a new option:

• Display Guest Gate after user has scrolled X posts.

That makes more sense than “after X topics”, because organic visitors tend to visit only a single topic and then leave.

To impact those users, i would have to display the gate right away (first topic) which is a little invasive. And if i set it to display on 2nd topic view, it might never be shown to most users.

So i think the option to count by post views could be a better solution.

6 Likes

Another simple (yet, very helpful) request: add a custom css class to the main div, so users can make some tweaks, without breaking another modals. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

One other small question to throw into the mix: Is it possible to hide the social login buttons and just show I already have an account and Sign up?

I’m using an external SSO and the bottom buttons work properly but I don’t need the OAuth icons.

Update: I just disabled the OAuth logins (which I probably should have already did) and that worked.

Greetings, can anyone please fix this plugin, the thing is, everything works so far, but only when u click on the social buttons, nothing happens.

Thank you, and best regards.

4 Likes

Plugin need update, not working with current update, everything blackout when there is pop up modal, disabling this plugin everything works just fine!

4 Likes

Do you happen to know what the last working Discourse version was?

And maybe someone in the team knows if there were any changes regarding modals lately?

4 Likes

It was working just fine yesterday, I regular update the discourse version so the very previous version was just fine!

3 Likes

Ehm guys… @jordan-vidrine @eviltrout this is going to break a lot more stuff

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/commit/5a34c7cc9e50df8965406e0c3112793313461de3

6 Likes

I don’t see how? Nobody should ever be overwriting .hidden to make something visible.

We needed it in this case because we have some display: flex that was overwriting the display: hidden

6 Likes

I have pushed a fix to the plugin.

You are of course right, but I think the same goes for using!important and breaking CSS specificity :wink:

6 Likes

The issue is fixed now, thank you! :heart_decoration:

4 Likes

@michaeld I still see the problem with 2.6.0.beta2 and Guest Gate ec87e87 :frowning: Any modal can be opened just once, after trying to open it again the screen goes dark.
I checked if it is affected by the “max guest topic views” settings but it is not, the only way to fix it is disabling Guest Gate.

3 Likes

Yep, you are correct.

I have no idea why this is happening, must investigate. To be continued.

EDIT I have pushed a hasty, quick and dirty fix but it seems to do the job. I hope it does not introduce new side effects.

This plugin needs a bigger update but it seems like there is enough duct tape and WD40 for now.

7 Likes

For me it breaks the “similar topics” view, as those have a default class of hidden apparently?

Documented here, before I found this thread: "Your topic is similar to..."-box has class=hidden

6 Likes

Is it possible that it also causes this issue? Bug: Cannot remove a vote

4 Likes

Really great plugin,

Is there anyway to remove the

‘Please sign in!’

…text? I have tried in admin/customise/text but to no avail.

3 Likes

It’s right there. Search for guest_gate.

5 Likes