Homepage Feature

This component is working great at our forum (after some CSS editing to match our theme :smiley:), kudos to @awesomerobot

One thing I’ve noticed: featured topics always appear above banner topics. Personally I think they should appear below them, it’s more logical due to the nature of banner topics. Is there a way to accomplish this or would it be possible to at least be able to choose its placement at the component options?

Another suggestion to @awesomerobot:
Author and date…

Exemple… below the topic title put something like:
-round-avatar- by -username- | -x- days ago

@awesomerobot I just noticed that this component is showing when I’m logged in as an admin, but not for other logins, browsers, or even incognito windows.

Here are my settings:

And here’s what I’m seeing while logged in as an admin vs. regular community member:

Do you know what may be going on here?

1 Like

Might you possibly have set the featured tag to topics only visible for staff/admin?

3 Likes

That was it @torstensson, thanks so much!

4 Likes

@awesomerobot hi Kris, unfortunately it doesn’t work for me, maybe some option that I have to disable, I get this error, what should I do exactly?

Thanks in advance Kris.

Do you have any topics tagged featured? This component relies on tagging being enabled (in your site settings).

3 Likes

Hi @awesomerobot,

I was wondering what is best aspect ratio and if needed size for the display pic?

Just looking over this component and it might be what I’m looking for if I can edit it a bit.

Would it be possible to re-purpose the topics for embeds?

E.g. can I use a dual feature, and embed a youtube video on the left and a twitch stream on the right and call it “Featured Content” ?

Thanks!

Hi @awesomerobot

Has anything changed in this component? Since upgrading to the latest version (this component as well as discourse) I only get two topics with thumbnail on the homepage and the CSS also seems to have changed a bit (you can check at forumscp.com).

1 Like

At a glance I can’t see any reason for this, the preview link in the original post above still shows 3… can you link to the topic you’re expecting to be in the third slot on your site? it’s possible I didn’t account for something.

1 Like

It’s this one:

Actually, it should turn up between the other two according to the latest: Redacção Porta 10-A - FórumSCP

Could be it be that the topic doesn’t have an image to be reproduced? Shouldn’t the component in that case either go with a predetermined image or pick up the next topic with an image?

1 Like

I seem to have run into another issue with this component as it’s no longer loading on our community. I noticed it’s also not displaying on the theme creator preview either.

1 Like

Thanks for reporting it! I had a deprecated route in there (/tags/featured is now /tag/featured). You should be able to update it now to get it back.

1 Like

Thanks for taking a look! That cleared it up.

1 Like

What is the reason for the hard-coded limit of 3 featured topics? Any chance of making that configurable? I’d like to be able to use 6 to replace our current use of Topic List Previews.

4 Likes

this theme is not working correctly when used with Topic list sidebar navigation.

1 Like

@awesomerobot gentle nudge :slight_smile:

Also, should you decide to support > 3 featured posts, it would be great if we could select the image size. Right now the TC is using 1024x1024 images, which would be too much when we use smaller images.

3 Likes

After migrating my setup to subfolder this theme component doesn’t work anymore.

Is it enough to use get-url's getURL when setting or checking the routes? Maybe also on ajax calls? (ajax calls are already handled). I can give it a try if this is the way to go.

Also, I think this match is a little too broad? e.g. if a topic has search or admin in its title it doesn’t show the component when show_on is set to all.

1 Like

Great component. Feature idea:

We only use it if there is a piece of breaking news to put something on top of everything else.

Now, the problem is, it does not collapse when there is nothing tagged “featured” and a big gap is then being displayed due to the min-heights set.

Thus, we always have to disable the component. The disadvantage: The user has to make a reload of the website before this comes effective. And I understand, to collapse it automatically e.g. with a class (in case there are no tagged topics) after the ajax would jitter the whole page.

But: Would it be possible, to have an “enabled” variable in the component that would collapse it and not execute the ajax (and the loading spinner) to fetch the tagged topics? Thus, a user does not have to shitf-reload the page in order to become effective.

1 Like