Homepage Feature

We have started testing this component today and noticed that the featured topics are in the order as they would appear in the Latest view - that is, the order will change as soon as anyone posts a reply to one of these topics. We’d like to be in control of these topics, and have them ordered by tagging date (with the most recently tagged first). Is this possible?

2 Likes

I posted a request on #marketplace to address sorting by tagging date. Fingers crossed!

2 Likes

I’ve made some updates!

• You can now choose to show up to 5 topics (6 didn’t quite fit).
  • If there are no topics with images available the component does not display.
  • By default the topics now appear in the order they were created, so it will show the most recent topics (this allows admins to control positioning better). There’s a theme setting you can disable (sort_by_created) if you’d rather have these sorted by latest activity.
  • I switched the plugin-outlet this uses, so the topics now appear below site banners
9 Likes

Great @awesomerobot, now it is perfect. No more loading bar, when no topics are featured :grinning:

2 Likes

Very nice and useful new features, thanks! :+1:

3 Likes

Hey, I noticed you removed the ‘Show on All’ option? Was that on purpose? We’d rather like to keep it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It was intentional; moving the plugin outlet made it harder to keep the all option… and I wasn’t sure if anyone was using it.

Anyway, it’s back now!

One downside is that there’s not an easy way to keep the topics below the banner and use the all option at the same time. Also note there’s an additional setting ,above main container, that you’ll want to enable when using all.

2 Likes

Hello !

Thank you so much !
With these last functions the plugin becomes essential :slight_smile:

Could there be a setting to choose which topic will be displayed on mobile?
Or better, the possibility of having a topic only on mobile and others only on Desktop? (or both if necessary)

Thank you !

1 Like

Hello, how do you select the topics to be displayed in the 3 featured topics in the forum?

The theme will feature the three most recent topics tagged featured. You can change which tag it is looking at in the settings.

2 Likes

thx. can I also convert the 3 teasers into static links that link to the website or is there a similar component?

@sebastianzepper If you are looking for something static, maybe Versatile Banner works better for you?

Sliders are actually just unnecessary bloating, because users just don’t use them. Sliders make a site just heavier and are more or less just old hype than something needed…

But sure, it should or would be an option if a webmaster wants to use such thing for some reason.

In the bigger context - everything that makes harder to reach real content - meaning one mile long scrolling :wink: - is always bad idea. Same thing than why e-commerce tries to find shorter way from product to checkout.

Yes, I know - off topic. Sorry.

1 Like

How would i go about showing this in the Docs page? shows in other top menu pages but not in docs.

Thanks
Reax.

Would it be possible to style the topic title so that it is displayed on top of the image, aligned to the bottom, with a bit of % background opacity?

This would save vertical space for cases where having the images is nice but it’s ok to show them with overlapping text.

Hi Kris,

Is it possible to choose the option for it to appear in the category site instead of the main homepage?

2 Likes

Yes, you should be able to do something like this with a little bit of CSS:

.featured-topic-wrapper .featured-topics .featured-topic {
  position: relative;
}

.featured-topic-wrapper .featured-topics .featured-topic h3 {
  position: absolute;
  bottom: 0;
  background: #ffffffaa;
  padding: 0.2em;
  width: 100%;
}

It’s not possible with this theme component, but a version specifically for categories sounds like a reasonable request I could look into at some point in the future.

5 Likes

Thank you so much! It looks great.

1 Like

Here is one that can be used on Categories. It can also be used with this one.

2 Likes

This is actually great , i have increased number of post to 10 but i only want to show 5 on homepage and add a scroll bar for another 10 can you please help me with that , i have added the

<!-- Left and right controls -->
  <a class="left carousel-control" href="#myCarousel" data-slide="prev">
    <span class="glyphicon glyphicon-chevron-left"></span>
    <span class="sr-only">Previous</span>
  </a>
  <a class="right carousel-control" href="#myCarousel" data-slide="next">
    <span class="glyphicon glyphicon-chevron-right"></span>
    <span class="sr-only">Next</span>
  </a>
</div>

but don’t know how to merge it with your code

@awesomerobot